Laundry

(Your POV)

I turn in my cot and stare outside the tent. I need to go to bed, but I'm scared if I close my eyes for too long something might happen. I hear Evan sigh at the cot next to me.

"Can't sleep either?" He asks. I turn my gaze to him and see the white in his eyes. I smile a little.

"How can I? So much on my mind." I say. I sit up and wrap the blanket around me.

"This IS the first night, of course you won't be able to sleep." He says. I watch as he sits up.

"I want to leave, I want to back home. Not my LA home, but home. Back to (place your from) I want to be with my parents and my little sister. I didn't even really get to say that I love them when this all started." I say looking towards the ground.

     I hear a couple of people walking this way. I quietly lay back down and wait for them to pass. But they stop at the tent next to us. At Cole, Mason, Tyler, and Delirious's tent.

     "What are we supposed to do? There wasn't anyone at the last search except for these guys." I hear a women say.

     "Who the hell knows, but the girl though what do we do with her?" A guy's voice says. Who are they talking about?

     "If she doesn't pull through in at least two days then we'll kill her, it's as simple as that. Do you want her to turn here?" The women voice says. I quickly sit up and look at Evan. He looks behind him and looks at Craig. God, I hope he isn't awake and hearing this. The guy starts to laugh quietly.

     "And if the boyfriend doesn't shut up about her, then we make him kill her, it's as simple as that." The guy says. The two start to laugh quietly and start to walk past our tent. I hear Craig sniffle just a little and I knew he heard everything.

     "We gotta leave. We have to get Hope and leave this hell hole. By tomorrow night." Craig says quietly. I look at Evan biting my lip. He starts to nod his head.

     "Tomorrow night, it's a plan." Evan says quietly looking at Craig. Craig starts to nod his head. I lay back down and turn on my side. I wonder what they did to Hope.

I was forcefully shook awake. I open my eyes and look at the person and see a soldier standing in front of me, holding his black Ak-47, finger close to the trigger.

"Wake up, YOU have to make the soldiers breakfast." He says walking out of the tent. I quickly get up and slip on my boots before following him. I look at the sky as the sun is a little bit up in the air. 6:30 at the latest.

"Look, I know nothing about cooking. I ate pizza and cereal for most of my dinners and breakfasts." I say finally catching up to him. He stops and looks at me before giving me a annoyed smile.

"Fine, I'll tell the general then. As of right now, I'll take you down to the stream, your on laundry duty. By the way, I didn't need your opinion, it doesn't matter here." He says. He makes a left and starts to walk towards the trucks. Wow, no breakfast, what am I saying, they probably won't feed us for like a week.

"You're lucky that there's barely any laundry. You don't eat till ALL of it is done and dried." He says. Yup, called it. He stops at one of the trucks I see 3 huge laundry baskets filled to the brim with clothes.

"Load them to the back of the truck and let's get going." He says going around the truck and into the drivers seat. I sigh and pick up one of the heavy baskets and put it in the back of the truck.

After I got all the baskets in. I climb in the back and close the tailgate. I sit with my back against the tailgate and watch as we pull away from the camp. I wonder if Evan or Craig even realized that I left. They'll definitely notice when they wake up.

It was a short drive, probably 10 minutes at the max till we stopped at the side of the road. He gets out of the truck and looks at me.

"Well come on, I don't want to be here all day." He says impatiently.

     He walks into the woods with his gun pointed out. I sigh and hop out of the truck. I grab a laundry basket but stop when I see a zombie straggling out from the other side of the woods. My heart stops beating as it looks around at its new surroundings. His eyes finally land on me. I take a quick breath. It screeches out and starts to run to me. I frantically look for the soldier but can't find him anywhere. I start to run to where he was heading.

     As I went past the tree line I start to look around to try and find him. I look below the hill and see the stream that he was talking about. I start to run down the hill, the autumn leaves breaking under my feet. I hear the zombie start to come closer and closer, no matter how fast I run.

     I took another step and slipped on something, which caused me to fall and to quickly roll down the hill. I suddenly stop when my back hit a tree. I cry out in pain. I watch as the zombie looks at me before changing his course away from me and starts to run in another direction. I slowly sit up.

     I hear the soldier scream before tons of gunshots start to go off. They stop after the 7th shot. Good, at least he got the soldier. Who knows how long it's gonna be until the zombie is going to come after me.

     I use the tree to help me stand back up. At least I didn't break anything. God if I did I would be dead meat. I start to climb back up the hill. As I so I look over and see the zombie on his knees hunched sticking his hand inside the soldiers stomach. The soldier looks at me with terror in his eyes. I turn my gaze away from him and start walking faster up the hill.