Chapter 17

Thank you for the votes!

~*~*~

"But I don't want to leave you, mum." An eight-year-old girl sobbed, avoiding her mother's eyes completely. Her blue hairs were tied in pigtails.

"Darling, look at me," a woman at thirty-three asked her daughter. Their hairs were the same. The only difference was that they had hints of white in it.

The said girl looked up. Her deep violet eyes met the deep blue ones of her mother. "Your mum has some business to take care of." The lady gestured to the red-head woman behind her. "Aunt Sienna will take you to your daddy. I will meet you there, okay?"

The girl cried more. "Why can't I stay here? I will protect you." Though sitting on her knees, the woman was a few inches taller than her small, petite daughter.

The lady wiped her daughter's eyes with the back of her hands. A sad smile graced her lips when she heard her words. "I know you can darling." She hugged her daughter. "But he is way stronger than you." She pulled away from her daughter just so she could look at her face, knowing that this might be her last time looking at her this close.

"Now tell me who you are?" she asked her daughter.

"I-I am not a fragile princess who needs rescuing. I can protect myself and those around me," the girl replied in a broken voice.

"Very good darling," the woman encouraged her daughter. For once, she didn't correct her on being unsure. "Will you promise something to your mother today?"

The girl nodded her head, unable to respond in words. "I know you will be strong. Very strong." She cupped the child's face. Her face turned very serious. "But promise me that until then you will hide. Promise me that you will learn to keep your hairs and eyes from changing their colour. Promise me that you won't tell your secrets to anyone unless you have a very good reason to do so. Promise me that you will always remember those who helped you. Promise me that you will stay away from bad people and bad magic."

The girl nodded her head again. "I will momma." She placed her tiny hands around her mother's head.

The woman gave her one teary smile and hugged her daughter tight for one last time. She took a deep breath and let her daughter go knowing they didn't have time. She pulled back and gave a chaste kiss on her daughter's forehead. A lone tear escaping her right eye and dropped on the child's head... She then turned to her other companion, Sienna and told her "Keep her safe. She is my world"

The red-head nodded her head. Her eyes were as teary as her sister's.

They heard the distant footsteps. It was time to let go. That's when a silent message was passed between the elderly ladies. And the woman named Sienna took Alexa's hand and ran through the back door. Leaving behind the woman to face whatever was coming, alone.

The last thing that the child remembered was hearing a woman scream. Screaming for her life. Screaming for her baby. Screaming for her family.

Alexa sat up. She was covered in her sweat. Even her four-poster was drenched. She looked around frantically. A sigh of relief escaped her lips when she noticed she was in her dorm. Her dorm-mates were sleeping soundly. It was already five in the morning.

She laid back, not wanting to disturb the other witches in her dorm. The last memory of her mother was something that weakened as well as strengthened her. Her salty tears joined her already wet comforter. Her mother's word kept ringing in her head. "Strength is a choice." She used to say. That was what she was trying to do, but this year was not going as glib as others. She was trying so hard to hide, but people were finding her secret. She never wanted power. A power with danger like that is nothing but a rose. Beautiful, yes, but prickling its thorns to the holder every now and then.

Her mind running the events that took place the day before. Her body stiffened when she remembered the way Tom had cornered her and asked rather commanded her to be his girlfriend. She knew he was right to some extent, but the attention that would come with the act like that was not something she wanted. She was not yet strong to protect herself. She was just following her mother's last words. Hence she had refused him.

A sigh escaped her lips. She had a feeling that Tom was not going to back down easily. And for once they were right, completely.

~*~*~

I just wanted to give the reasons behind Alexa's attempts to hide. They will be clearer as the story progresses. If you have missed this fact, Alexa inherited her metamorphmagus personality from her mother. The colour blue means sadness, while white means scared. Tom's reaction to her rejection in the next chapter.

If you liked this chapter, please vote.

Thank you all!!!