Chapter 41

A special thanks to cookiemonsterRULEZ and EmoKpopTrash123 for voting on every single chapter.

~*~*~

Standing in the corner with her hand still holding the empty glass of pumpkin juice, Alexa threw a nervous glance on her emerald green sleepers. She had no courage to lift her gaze and look at her surrounding. The mind that was cursing her non-stop about her inability to take a proper decision was not helping her wrecking nerves at all. She adjusted the silky material of her deep emerald gown for what felt like the thousandth time that evening. The smoothness of that old fabric did nothing to comfort her. It was her mother's favourite gown. And knowing that this fabric had encased her mother's body at one point in time in history made her admire and envy that piece of cloth. However, she never dared to throw it away, since it always had given her the warmth she thought was appreciated by her mother.

"Snow, Leave it." Beside her, Logan spoke, "You are looking good already."

Alexa lifted her gaze from the ground and her soft brown eyes got connected with the reason she was in that dull place.

"I can't help it," she replied truthfully.

"I am so sorry," Logan spoke. The guilt he was feeling was visible in his concerned eyes.

She placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder, a short smile dancing on her baby pink lips. "Hey don't worry. I am fine. I just -" She paused thinking carefully about her next sentence. " - need more pumpkin juice. Yeah, that's what I need."

He gave her a smile full of appreciation. "I will fetch some for you. That's the least I can do after pulling you into this mess." With that said, the McLaggen boy left her side.

Now alone, Alexa's mind drifted off to their earlier conversation. When Logan had said that he received that invitation on the same day, she knew he was not being truthful. Not the slightest. She remembered how Logan confessed that he had received it quite a few weeks back, but he was planning to skip. He knew he was a Slug-Club member only because he was a McLaggen, an heir to one of the richest and the most reputed family in the magical community. He knew Slughorn, personally, never favoured him and to be honest, the feeling was mutual. Hence, he had no intention to attend that stupid dinner, but then Zabini pointed out that the Slytherin house head had held a grudge against those who didn't show up to these gatherings in the past. He didn't have the heart to worsen his already bad relationship with his potion master.

First Alexa was angry that he lied to her, but when she saw how desperate he was for her to forgive him she agreed. And so now she was there standing near the wooden table waiting for her best friend to come back.

"I am warning you one last time. Keep your bloody hand to yourself, if you wish to not lose it."

Alexa was brought back from her trance by a whisper. She turned around to see a girl and a boy standing, a few feet away from her. The boy's back was facing her, but she was sure that this boy was Abraxas Malfoy. After all who would miss that unmistakable shade of platinum blond hairs? Her gaze moved to the girl he accompanied. In her purple gown, she was looking every bit of elegant and graceful.

"It's not like I love putting my hand around you." The boy replied. "I am doing what I promised Evan."

"Bloody Evan." That blond girl cursed. "As I distinctly remember he told you to accompany me, and not to be all over me."

"I am not all over you." Even his pale neck burned in embarrassment. "I am doing what I think will help you from being kicked out."

The girl, otherwise known as Evanka Rosier, gave him a sharp look. Her deep grey eyes were glaring daggers on the brown-eyed boy who wished nothing but the ground to open and swallow him completely. Though Alexa was unable to see his face, his slumped shoulders were an indication of how defeated he was. The girl scoffed in a very unladylike fashion. "Whatever. I want you to not follow me for at least five minutes. Let me enjoy my view." Evanka replied and tilted her head in Alexa's direction, making direct eye contact with the latter. A smirk graced the former's lips as she winked at Alexa who turned into a tomato and looked away, feeling an utter embarrassment from being caught.