Chapter 39

Merlin! Thank you so much for 1K+ votes. You are damn amazing.

~*~*~

        The halls of that ancient castle were flooded with the students. The usually cheerful buzz, however, was not there. With the books clutched in their hands, every single pupil was in a hurry to find a place in order to study and tackle down the upcoming exams. Their usually ignored library, the place which housed the biggest book collection in the entire continent, was enjoying the greatest attention in that castle at that moment. The crowd in it was successfully keeping Madam Pince on her toes.

        The ones who wanted to discuss and study were occupying Quidditch stands. They were struggling with deciding where to concentrate - on their books or the ones that belonged to their friends.

        Those who were used to studying in solitude were fighting between dozing off and actually studying in their dormitories.

        The condition of the Seventh years was far worse than others. They were torn between studying for their N.E.W.T.s and enjoying their last two weeks in the place they came to call their home.

        However, that day was different for fifth-years.

        It was the day when they were supposed to meet their respective house heads for career counselling. The day on which they would realize their actual place in the magical community. They were anxious, yes, but excited nonetheless.

        Turning the pages of the book that was lying on his lap, the Slytherin prefect was overlooking the different formulae in Arithmancy. No, it was not his elective, but Tom didn't want to leave any stone unturned in the magical community. He was bored while waiting for his turn. For Salazar's sake! It was not like he needed this counselling. He already knew what he wanted in his life, and that definitely didn't consist of waiting for his turn.

        Beside him, Anthony was reading the book called Seer's Guide.

        Tom snorted inwardly.

        Unlike his best friend, Tom was not a big fan of Divination, especially after Cassandra Trelawny criticized him for not possessing the 'inner eye' in his third year. As if he needed another eye.

        "Tom, it's your turn." Malfoy huffed as soon as he came out of their Potion master's office. Annoyance was gracing his well-defined features. His hand was running restlessly through his platinum blond hairs. It was clear that whatever had happened in that private counselling session had left young pure-blooded wizard unsatisfied.

        Tom stood up from his place and tucked his book inside the small bag carefully. Giving a small nod in Anthony's direction, who gave him a small assuring smile, he entered the office.

        "May I come in Professor?" Tom asked in his well-polished tone.

        "Ah!! Tom m'boy," Slughorn looked up from his desk. His gooseberry eyes connecting with his favourite pupil. "Please do and take a seat."

        Tom m'boy? Only Merlin knew how much he hated that endearment.

        The said boy gave his professor a tight smile. The smile he had mastered since his childhood. The one which had hidden his displeasure successfully till the date.

        Tom sat in a very graceful manner.

        Without wasting another moment, Slughorn opened his star pupil's flawless academic records. They never failed to mesmerize the former. Admiration shined in those eyes when he looked back at Tom,

        "To be honest Tom, you don't need this counselling," He chirped happily, "I am sure whatever you will choose, you will succeed in it."

        Tom smirked inwardly. He knew the thing from the start.

        "So tell me what do you want to do?" The potion master added bringing Tom out of his trance.

        "I don't know Professor," Tom faked clueless look "Our community is so deep that everything attracts me."

        "Oh! I can understand the feeling. You are so young and have so much to explore." Slughorn gave him an affectionate nod. "However, if you asked me, I think you should go for a career as an Auror. The hold you have on Defense Against Dark Arts and Potions is brilliant."

        Well, it was true. Tom pondered. He knew what he wanted to do in his life, but he needed some closure. Could this be a good choice?

        "This job serves the magical community in the best possible way."

        And just like that Tom lost the interest in the discussion. Serve someone else? Yeah sure. He thought to himself. He was born to rule, not to be ruled.

        Being completely oblivious to this change in his pupil's mood, Slughorn rambled on and on about the subjects he needed to sharpen.

        "- And don't forget the Patronus charm. It's the best shield when it comes to Dementors." Slughorn added happily "It's sad that you don't have it in your course, but it is a bonus if you can create a well-defined form."

        Hearing the name of the said charm, Tom froze. He recalled his fourth year, about how had he came to know about that charm from the book of dark creatures. He was so excited to try out that spell himself. However, he was unable to conjure the bluish-silver light from his wand even after trying out for a hundred times. Tom didn't want to recollect those memories. His first failure was a sore subject. It was not his fault that none of his happy moments was strong enough to work in his favour. Besides, he had not seen anyone conjuring the Patronus anyway,

        "Professor, can you do that spell? Patronus charm I mean?" Tom asked, "I have never seen it." He added politely.

        Slughorn gave him a smile. A very real smile.

        "Of course Tom."

        He stood up from his chair and took out his dragon heartstring cored wand. He closed his eyes. A smile tugged on his lips when he muttered,

        "Expecto Patronum"

        A white light emerged from the tip of the wand. Tom's eyes narrowed to adjust them to sudden brightness in the room. He didn't blink. Not even for once. He didn't want to miss a single bit. Slowly, the light started taking a form. The form of some kind of bird. He looked closely to see it was a crow. A medium-sized crow who had spread its wings.

        Tom was mesmerized.

        He was enchanted.

        His eyes were stuck to the remarkable creature that was soaring proudly. It was really beautiful.

        Was this the power of magic that everyone referred to as light magic? Was really light magic this beautiful? This enchanting? This magical? His mind questioned him unconsciously.

~*~*~

I hope you liked this chapter.

#fact: Crow is an intelligent yet cunning bird, something I think matches Slughorn's personality. I am not a fan of Slughorn, but I can't deny he was indeed intelligent enough to know what Horcruxes were. By the way, this is my imagination, since I couldn't find his Patronus.

Please vote and share this story, if you want to read more. It will motivate me to write more.

Thank you all!!!