Chapter 50

This chapter is dedicated to all my wonderful readers from Uruguay, Iceland, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Belgium and Netherlands. You people are awesome.

~*~*~

*The night before*

        *knock*

        *knock*

        "Come in please."

        Alexa exhaled. She opened the wooden door and entered the ancient office of the head of Hufflepuff house.

        The tall and slightly plump professor of Herbology closed the book. Placing it neatly on the top of the wooden desk in front of him, he greeted,

        "Ms Winters, welcome back to the school. Did you have a good vacation?" He inquired kindly.

        Alexa smiled. Indeed she had a better vacation that year. "I did. How about you sir?" She asked politely.

        "Oh! I had the best." His brown eyes twinkled as they looked at something non-existent dreamily. "A friend from Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts lent me some of the rarest copies of dramas from muggle society. I tell you muggles might lack in actual magic, but they have their own magical way with words. Their imagination is superior."

        Herbert Beery was a complete chatterbox when it came to literature. None of the badgers was new to his obsession with literature. Sometimes, Alexa wondered why was he stuck being a Herbology professor in her school. She had no complaints regarding his teaching skills or anything; she was just curious. She wasn't exactly into poetry and dramas, but her professor's happiness was contagious and so she smiled.

        "You know, sometimes I feel like I don't belong here." Beery sighed heavily. "I do enjoy teaching my subject, but it is just that... you know... I feel like... like it is not the reason I live... like it is not my calling. Now, however, I am too old to start something fresh."

        Beery treated his students like his family. Alexa was sure that by now her professor had abandoned the place mentally, and she felt bad for him.

        "You know what professor?" She added kindly, "it is never too late for chasing your passion. Life is a waste if you got stuck with something you do not desire."

        Beery looked at her in amazement. It was not like what Alexa had said was something out of the world, but he was grateful for her small act of trying to cheer him up. A smile graced his lips. That was what he liked about his house. They might not be the smartest or the bravest or the most cunning, but they were the kindest - the quality that humans were abandoning bit by bit.

        "Thank you, Alexa." He nodded in her direction. "Now why are you here?"

        Alexa tucked her non-existent, out of place lock of hairs behind her left ear, suddenly quite conscious about her appearance. "Professor, I need a favour."

        She hastily placed a piece of parchment in front of Herbology master and added, "As you know, I wanted to opt for Alchemy this year. You already told me that I needed either Exceeding Expectations or Outstanding in some subjects. I tried my best, but got an Average in Potions." She chuckled nervously. "So, I was wondering if you could write a letter of recommendation in my favour."

        She blurted out the whole sentence in one breath. Afraid that he would cut her in between.

        "Oh!" Beery added thoughtfully, "I am afraid I really can't, Alexa. If it had been any theoretical subject like Philosophy, my letter would have worked. Potion Making is vital and very practical. The letter of recommendation will work only if Prof. Slughorn signs it. I hope you understand." His tone gave away his sympathy.