Chapter 70

Herpo the foul is supposed to have made the first Horcrux. No matter what, it remained undiscovered. Hence, it is believed that he is still alive.

Tom turned the page. It was the end of the book. That's it? The frustration grew inside his body. He slammed the ancient book shut and turned it over to read the title of the book he just finished. The darkest of the dark. Tom groaned. By the title, he thought he would finally find the secret of the foul's apparent immortality. Of course, he was named foul, so he must have had done something dark. Tom ran his hand along the spine of the book. His back rested against the headboard of his four-posture as his chocolate orbs landed on the silver lantern hanging in the centre. Trust Hogwarts to turn even the supposed darkest book into the grey one. No matter how brilliant he was, the boy never understood the discrimination between light and dark magic. For him, magic meant magic. No dark, no light. It meant knowledge, which he thirsted. It meant power, which he craved since his childhood. In his opinion, because of this mindset about this so-called differentiation of magic, wizards were not utilizing their full potential. The potential was the reason for their uniqueness.

The story of Merlin, the greatest wizard ever lived (before himself, his mind added subconsciously) flashed before his eyes. Unbelievably he had heard the story when he was a kid from the muggle-st of them all. Mrs Cole, the old lady warden of Wool's orphanage, had a tradition to arrange the gathering of all the kids in the orphanage and tell them a story every Saturday night. And even though, the boy used to stand broodingly in the corner he was neither deaf nor dumb. He had heard the legends of the famous wizard and the king duo so many times. His young mind had always wondered what would it be like to be in Merlin's place. His sharp brain used to sympathize to the wizard who did everything, still got no throne. A mere servant in the court was what his status was in the king Arthur's court. Since those days, he never wanted to serve another. He wanted to serve himself. An act of ultimate freedom he believed it to be. Tom remembered making an unvoiced oath to himself that day that he won't serve another. Like ever. 

Now that he was sixteen, however, when he thought about it he realized what difference did it make

Now that he was sixteen, however, when he thought about it he realized what difference did it make. Had Merlin used this so-called dark magic, he would have had riches and power beyond measures. Don't take him wrong, he was really proud of the wizard and his chest widened whenever he recalled the little fact that he was a fellow Slytherin. His mind tried to imagine the scenarios where the great wizard would stroll around in the common room. There was no official record, but many times Tom even wondered if he was living in the same room that once Merlin himself lived in. It made him fall in love with his house all over again. 

The only point where he could fault the great wizard was his opinions about Muggles and the choice he made to advise a king. Salazar Slytherin must have been disappointed too, but anyway he could not resist the fact that he was indeed the most powerful wizard. The wizard even had his portrait in the castle, and the boy wondered if he would have his one day in the ancient building too.