Decoding Tom : From Author's Desk

Okay, so a few days back a reader asked me why Tom is so emotional in this book, and I realized that many of you must be wondering the same. Here is the author's note to decode Tom's character that I imagine. 

Wait!

Let me show you instead,

Thought #1: You might know, Tom was born under Love potion

Thought #1: You might know, Tom was born under Love potion. His father wasn't in love with his mother. It is believed that Tom is unable to understand love. Now it is nowhere said that Tom doesn't feel other emotions. Until this point in the story, I never wrote explicitly that Tom actually loves Alexa who is head over heels for him already. That may or may not even change in the future. (Sorry, can't reveal.) "Lost" tries to portray how he feels possessive and jealous in addition to rage from time to time. I personally feel the birth under influence of love potion is kind of like a forced relationship. It doesn't mean the child born out of this union is emotionless though. If you consider an extreme, even clones have emotions. One can't possibly think he was a machine to not feel at all. He is truly bound to have some emotions.

Thought #2: I have always believed that there exists a reason for whatever happens and everything is connected somehow. This foundation leads me to think that no evil is born. Had Tom's mother survived his birth, there might have been a chance that Tom hadn't turned to Voldemort at all. His life never gave him a reason to see the muggles in a positive light during his childhood. Some people believe that Harry Potter also had troubled childhood, however, he turned out to be opposite. This is because of perception. This indirectly proves that Tom contemplated the things around him. It might be in a negative sense, but you can't deny that he must have had done that. And to do that one must feel the need to contemplate.

Thought #3: Harry Potter once told his friends that Voldemort lacks friends unlike them. In this story, I have created a friend "Anthony Avery" for that purpose alone. He supported Tom and treated him normally. If you read carefully, you will realize conversations with Avery makes Tom realize many things. For example, the recent conversation where Tom caught him reading a romance novel or the one where Tom realized that he wanted Alexa as his. So, somehow, Anthony brings more human side in him. I never understood how Dumbledore suddenly turned blind to Tom in actual HP fandom despite him being the first one to realize that the boy could speak with snakes, which is an indication of dark magic since forever. In "Lost", I tried to portray the old magician smarter than he already is. He made sure Tom and Anthony become friends since day one.

Thought #4: Till this point in this story, Tom hasn't created a Horcrux. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a life preservation mechanism to store a part of the soul. For creating it one has to split its soul. Losing a part of the soul is what I think equivalent to losing humanity. As Tom hasn't created one yet, his soul is still intact. Hence he is completely human. So, he is bound to have opinions and emotions. This is one of the reasons why he takes so much pride in Slytherin.

 Thought #5: Tom had a strong connection with animals, especially snakes. Unlike humans, animals don't wear masks. One can't expect to connect with pure souls like them unless they express what they truly feel.

Thought #6: Alexa has one part in this too. You can see that from the start he was behind her secrets. I always believed that unless you are a werewolf and this other person is your mate, you can't have emotions coming out of the blue. I adore relationships that grow. You can connect the dots through the kisses ATom shared. Titles of the kisses actually show the transitions of his emotions.

Thought #7: I have read my share of stories on online sites. And many of them depict only women's feelings. I dislike this scenario. I support a world where men are allowed to express what they actually feel. This is the reason why I try to give you a sneak peek at Tom's emotions as well. In a relationship, both parties matter.

~

I hope I satisfied with all the queries.

Please vote, share and comment to let me know what you actually think and what you agree upon.

Thank you all!!!