Chapter 24

Thank you, friends, for your wonderful response. We now have 1K+ reads. I can't believe it.

~*~*~

"Today we are going to discuss one of the most interesting potions," Slughorn exclaimed clapping his hand. His eyes were twinkling like some blind man seeing the light for the very first time. "It is called Aphrodisiac."

Tom cringed. Of course, he knew what was that. It was the love potion. Amortentia was stronger while this one was more popular. Even muggles fantasized about this potion.

"Can someone describe this potion?" An over-enthusiastic potion master looked over his class. He threw a glance at the female population in the class. It was no secret that most of the teenage, hormonal witches adored the potion, and from the giggles that echoed in that usually one-sided lecture, it was clear that they were no exception.

"Yes, Ms Lockhart?" Slughorn picked up a badger who was shaking her hand with enthusiasm that rivalled that of her master.

A girl straightened up a bit. Tucking her golden fringe behind her right ear she replied,

"It is the love potion. One of the strongest and famous. Like Amortentia it also smells different to every person depending on what that person finds attractive or is infatuated with. However, the former one can induce the infatuation, while this one only enhances the already existing feeling. Both of them cannot create love." She sighed in the end. Her friends who couldn't stop giggling till now abruptly stopped at the last sentence.

Pathetic. It was the only word Tom could use to describe what he felt about their behaviour. Ask the people like them about the potion like that and even dumbest of them won't disappoint you. He looked around for one particular badger. She was absent that day. How predictable! He thought to himself. First, she slapped him, and then she hid from him. He smirked. It was not like she had a choice. He was going to see her in their tutoring session anyway.

"10 points to Hufflepuff," Slughorn exclaimed. His eyes still had their shine. "Wonderful explanation Ms Lockhart, but you missed one fact. The fact that this potion is of Greek origin and was formerly known as Philtre. Also, you people should know that this potion is simpler than Amortentia but that doesn't mean it's straightforward. This is the reason why you have this potion this year and the latter one in the next."

Wonderful! Another love potion to study. His life was complete now. Tom thought to himself sarcastically.

"Now brewing this potion takes some time, so instead of doing this in class I want you to make this potion as an assignment in the group of two," Slughorn announced. Tom looked beside him. He was sure he was going to complete this assignment with Anthony. He was not the only one who was doing this. Everyone in that class was telepathically making partners. However, their potion master had some other plans in his mind. "And to increase cooperation among you all, I already chose the partners." He clapped his hands again. Tom knew this man was useless.

"I will announce the partners later, let's first learn this potion."

After rambling for at least half an hour about how the potion came into existence, its effects, its ingredients and the method to brew it, Slughorn announced again, "Now I want you all to come forward and inhale the potion one by one. You will smell three scents. I want you to note them down, but you don't have to tell me." Slughorn gave them a mischievous glance. Not disturbing a very forced and an equally tight smile from his lips, Tom gave him a sore glance, as if anyone was going to discuss their personal things with him. "Now make a line."

The girls in the class stood up with enthusiasm, while boys groaned. One by one everyone took their time to inhale the silvery fumes of a potion placed in a copper cauldron. It was the first time, Tom was stood at the end of the queue. He was cursing Alexa in his mind. Seriously the girl was lucky. She missed the most idiotic and useless class. One by one everyone went back to his or her place and it was finally his turn to inhale that potion.

"Go ahead m'boy." Slughorn encouraged as if Tom had a choice. The latter took a step forward. Hesitation was clear in his step. He looked down at that purplish potion. He leaned down and took a whiff. His eyes closed unwittingly.

First whiff. It smelt like a book. The old book. That smell of the paper with the hint of ink in them was dearer to him.

Second whiff. It smelt like blood. Blood emerging from a fresh cut. That sweet metallic smell was nothing new to him. He had inhaled it since his childhood.

Last whiff and a gasp left his mouth. His chocolate brown eyes opened instantly. His every feature was screaming how shocked he was. The smell was not something he was fond of. Why did he smell it? Why the hell did he smell fresh coconuts?

~*~*~

#fact: Aphrodisiac is completely out of my imagination. It is like an OC.

I thought it was finally time for Tom to realize his infatuation with a certain someone.

Anyways, did you catch, why did he smell coconuts? If not please check out chapter 12. What do you think of other smells?

I really hope you liked this chapter.

Please vote and share.

Thank you all!!!