Chapter 85

Anthony was rushing in the corridor. He adjusted his hold on the book in his left hand while his right hand fished out a small pocket watch. He was late. He was late for an important match. Gryffindor vs Slytherin. Hot and most anticipated match owing to their rivalry. The reason as to why the corridor he was currently in contained no one but him. 

His mind was occupied with his friends. He was worried about them. 

He felt sorry for Abraxas. 

The Malfoy's life was screwed for sure. He remembered how the other boy was excited and blushing the first time during their second year. It was Evanka's first year and she had come to their compartment on the Hogwarts train along with Evan. Rosier had proudly introduced his younger sister to his house-mates. Being the wild and cheeky kid that she was, she had winked at the pale-headed Malfoy to which his equally pale cheeks turned red. He remembered how much Abraxas had gushed about the female Rosier when Evan had dragged his sister to show her changing rooms. Anthony remembered how much Abraxas wished that she would be sorted into Slytherin. Avery had a suspicion that Malfoy had grown fond of the female Rosier at the first sight. Her openness about her sexuality later, however, had been a big blow for the Malfoy. 

He felt concerned about Tom. 

Anthony had been studying divination even before joining the school. In ancient scriptures related to divination, there was a concept called Aura.  Every individual had it. The aura of a magical being is the level of potential possessed by that being and from the first moment that Anthony laid his eyes on Tom, Tom's aura had been one of the most powerful he had ever encountered. It reeked of the raw potential the boy had held. It was one of the things that made his younger self more curious about Tom. It fascinated him as a new subject does to a scholar. However, the more the time he spent with the other boy, the more he started to see him as a better friend rather than a mere subject. Though Tom kept it under control most of the time, he had seen cracks to the walls around his personality. He had seen how the best pupil of their era always acted the way he was supposed to and not how he wanted to. And that worried Anthony. Those who are not true to themselves suffer to the deal much severe than any physical pain in the universe. And the gentle soul like Anthony would never wish anyone any harm.

To be utterly truthful, no one was happier than Anthony when he saw his best friend taking an interest in Alexa. From her aura, Anthony could guess that she was a kind soul. She wasn't a person who possessed the magic that had a degree of that of Tom's or even the beauty that could match to aristocratic features of Tom, but her gentle heart was far more precious than anything in the world. However, when he had found Tom in the room of requirements, on his knees, looking utterly weak and confused, he felt concerned. He recalled that incidence clearly.

*Flashback*

Anthony entered the room of requirements. His wand was clutched in his right palm. His eyes widened when they took in the sight before him. There sat Tom. On his knees. His hands were placed flat on the surface beside him. His eyes were wide in shock and his face was wet with his sweat. His wand was dropped at a distance. 

"Tom?" He called out running to his friend. "What's wrong?"

Tom's posture didn't change a bit. If anything, he was blinking madly to pull him out of whatever trance he was in. His aura screamed confusion, fear, and insecurity? Anthony, not in all those six years, had associated Tom with these many negative traits at once. And even if he had, it had never been insecurity. He didn't know what was going on and Tom's lack of response did nothing to enlighten him.

"What is it, Tom?" He asked again. More gently.

Tom shook his head. He stretched his palm for Anthony as if asking him to pull himself up. Placing his wand back in his pocket, he helped Tom in standing up. 

*Present time*  

He remembered how Tom didn't answer him. Anthony knew better than to push him again. He knew that Tom would let him know himself if there was something he could do about it. However, that didn't stop him from feeling more and more worried about Tom.

Anthony turned around the corner. His steps halted. The drops of sweat gathered on his forehead. His hands balled in the fists. His nails dug into his delicate palms.

There right before his eyes, stood the love of his life. Rebekah. In the arms of the boy who was clearly not him. Her hands rested on his chest as if to push him, while her companion had his around her waist. He took a step toward them, about to interfere and protect the girl who was his. He stiffened when the other boy leaned forward and captured her lips with his. 

Anthony couldn't believe his eyes. Rebekah didn't initiate it but that made it no less painful for him to see her not pushing away. Sudden ache tightened his chest. His heart broke that day. Did she really hate him that much? To go to this length? He couldn't understand where he went wrong. He had been a good son. A good brother. A good friend. A good person. Did he really fail in being a good partner? Shouldn't she feel something for him by now? Did the kiss they share on the train mean nothing to her?

A tear left his eye. 

Another one followed when he saw her eyes landing on him, yet she stayed where she was. Embraced in another boy's arms. 

Didn't she realize he had a heart as well? Didn't she realize that she just broke it?

All these years he had kept his distance. He wanted to give her time. Did she not realize it had been not easy for him as well? Unlike her he kept patience. He hoped that one day she would accept him for who he was. For years, he endured all her coldness. Her negligence toward him. He, on the other hand, kept being loyal to her. Hell! He didn't even think of any girl but her. That wasn't enough, was it? He ignored all the signals. He kept a deaf ear whenever Tom said something that would berate his opinion on Rebekah despite the way she never acknowledged him all those years. 

But now...

He was done

He was done. He was done being hers. 

He wiped his tears. 

But before that, he was going to set things straight.

He was going to do his last duty as her fiancé.

She wanted freedom, right? He would grant her that. And he would never look back.

~*~*~

I hope you liked the chapter. Let me know what do you think of Anthony. I am so sad right now.

Keep me motivated through your votes, comments and sharing the story with your friends. It will make my day.

Thank you all!!!