Chemistry: From Author's Desk

So... as the title suggests this update deals with the "chemistry" between Tom Riddle and Alexa Winters and other characters.

Fact #1: You might know that the ship-names for Tom and Alexa are "ATom" and "TExa". When I first decided to come up with a ship name, ATom was the first thing that stuck in my mind. Being a proud nerd that I am, it reminded me of Sir Dalton for his Atomic theory, while the name "TExa" reminded me of Texas. Anyway, I went with these ship names because there are some similarities between them.

#a: They both have four alphabets and are short. Two vowels and two consonants.

#b: For ATom, A (1 word) from Alexa and Tom(3 words) from Tom. For TExa, T (1 word) from Tom and Exa (3 words) from Alexa.

I like to pay attention to micro-things. For long times, it was believed that Atom is an atomic particle and hence honouring this thought I went with ATom. Atomicity was something I always wanted any chemistry to have. Possessiveness is something I crave.

Fact #2: I don't know how many of you have noticed this, but throughout this story, I have consistently tried to show that Tom is right-handed while Alexa is left-handed. Example: You can clearly see this when Tom clutches his wand in his right palm in chapter 60 while Alexa slaps Tom with her left hand in chapter 21. This is to show that left-handed and right-handed people are incomplete without each other. I don't know how things work around the globe, but I am a left-handed individual, who was frowned upon and forced many times to work with her right hand during her childhood, not like I valued the opinions of those creatures. I remember people looking at me differently because of this. Some in wonder, some strangely. I wanted to tell them to go and rot in Azkaban or better yet get a dementor's kiss.

Anyway, keeping my "sob-story" aside, Tom is self-centred and Alexa is people-oriented. During a promise she recited to her mother in chapter 17, she states that "I am not a fragile princess. I can protect myself and those around me."

He wants power while she is afraid of power.

So they are like complementary in many ways.

Fact #3: Apart from the differences they are both orphans and prefer solitude over the noise. They both hate their last-names. I specifically chose the name Alexa Winters, because I never wanted her to have some tongue-twisting ancient name. Alexa is pretty common and so is Winters. Something that can be said about Tom and Riddle. Something Tom hated all his life. So yes, there are some similarities as well.

Fact #4: Anthony Avery's mother's name is Rebony and his father's name is Antonio. Though not exactly, his name is kind of a combination of both of his parents. ("Ant" from Antonio and "ony" from Rebony). Scarily enough, Rebekah and Anthony's ship name is Rebony. I don't know if this is a coincidence or fate or just straight awkward. Ares, on the other hand, is a pure ancient name. Something to signify his ancient beliefs. Though he is younger than Anthony he follows pure-blood supremacy very blindly. This is to show that age, the background may not matter when it comes to personal opinions. The same environment can create many different personalities.

Fact #5: In this book, I imagine Cameron Bright as Evan Rosier while Dakota Fanning as Evanka Rosier. If you don't know, these two actors portrayed Alec and Jane Volturi in the movie Twilight. Though honestly, I haven't watched the movie or read the book for that matter, I think they look cute as siblings.

I hope you liked this short update.  I was planning it since long.

Anyway, let me know what do you think of it. I love reading your comments.

Keep me motivated through your votes and sharing this story with your friends. It means a lot.

Thank you all!!!