Chapter 14 - Melemele Island Trial Challenge

As Ash checked on his map on Melemele Island on where it's Trial Challenge & Grand Trial are held, he found out that the Trial Challenge is at Vedarnt Cavern while the Grand Trial is at Iki Town.

"Alright, Pikachu and Lucario, we're about to challenge our first Trial Challenge & Grand Trial here in Melemele Island, but we need to go to Verdant Cavern to do our Trial Challenge first. You guys ready?" Ash asked, earning nods in agreement from the two.

"Great, we will fly to Vedarnt Cavern. Return Lucario," as Ash recalled his Lucario and took out Charizard, who appeared out of its PokeBall and gave a huge roar while landing on its feet. "Okay Charizard, we will now fly North-West to this place named Vedarnt Cavern," Ash said while showing a picture of the surroundings of the entrance of Vedarnt Cavern from his Nanodex to Charizard, "and compete in our first Island Trial Challenge."

Charizard roared in approval at the prospect of flying into the air again to transport its trainer and gestured Ash and Pikachu to ride on its back. About half an hour later, Ash, Pikachu and Charizard landed at the front entrance of Vedarnt Cavern, which was surrounded by a huge jungle with beams of sunlight shining through the gaps of the canopy to the ground. He then recalled Charizard and took out Lucario.

"Wow, this place is beautiful," Lucario said. "Indeed," Ash replied. "It's amazing and peaceful. Let's enter the cavern," Ash continued as he and his two Pokemon walked into the cavern.

"According to the Nanodex, we must battle 3 Yungoos and 1 Gumshoos, which are the Totem Pokemon of this challenge. They might appear out of anywhere and challenge us to a battle. However, sometime other wild Pokemon aside from them might also appear and want to battle us, so we need to be careful," Ash warned to his 2 Pokemon, earning nods of understanding in return.

A minute later, a cry appeared from someone in the trees, and a small bird-like Pokemon with light-brown wings and head with green crests, black eyes and orange talons approached the trio. "What Pokemon is that?" Ash thought as he checked his Nanodex:

"Rowlet, the Grass Quill Pokemon. It feels relaxed in tight, dark places and has been known to use its Trainer's pocket or bag as a nest. Rowlet is also the grass type starter Pokemon that new trainers can receive in Alola, as well as being a flying type Pokemon."

"A starter Pokemon from Alola, huh? This will be my first Pokemon from Alola if I catch it. Pikachu, ready for battle?" Ash asked. "Pika!" came the reply, with sparks sizzling on its cheeks.

"Alright start off with Thunderbolt!" Ash commanded as Pikachu fired a huge Thunderbolt at Rowlet, who dodged the attack, head towards Pikachu and began to use Leafage.

"Pikachu, Thunderbolt Counter Shield," Ash ordered, as Pikachu used Thunderbolt and spun its body around in circles, effectively eliminating Leafage and damaging Rowlet.

After recovering from the Thunderbolt Counter Shield, Rowlet began charging towards Pikachu with a Peck attack.

"Pikachu, wrap this up with Volt Tackle," Ash said, as Pikachu began enveloping itself with a body of electricity and ran directly towards Rowlet and collided, causing a hope dust cloud that disappeared a short while later, revealing a fainted Rowlet.

"Go PokeBall," Ash said as he threw a PokeBall and hit Rowlet, capturing the Grass Quill Pokemon in a beam of red light. A few beeps later, the PokeBall stopped shaking, indicating that the capture was successful.

"Capture successful," Lucario commented. "Well it's a good start," Ash added as he took Rowlet out of its PokeBall and flew on Ash's shoulder.

"Alright Rowlet, have a berry," Ash said as he fed the Pokemon an Oran Berry. After eating, Rowlet tell sleepy and opened Ash's backpack and snuggled itself and began to sleep.