Chapter 17 - Bonnie's 1st Gym Battle

At Route 4 in Kalos:

On the way from Lumiose City to Santalune City, Bonnie had decided to explore the area of Route 4 which was covered in plentiful flowers with many colours in order to search for a second Pokemon she can add in her team, which only consisted of Dedenne so far.

A minute later, a Flabebe with a red flower appeared in front of Bonnie and Dedenne. "A Flabebe," Bonnie said in excitement. "Let's catch it," she continued, earning a nod from Dedenne.

"Dedenne, use Thunderbolt," Bonnie ordered, and Dedenne fired a Thunderbolt that was countered by Flabebe's Fairy Wind, creating an huge explosion. After the explosion cleared, it revealed that both sides were standing.

"Use Nuzzle this time," Bonnie as Dedenne went towards Flabebe and used Nuzzle. Flabebe, who did not successfully dodge the attack, was hit and became paralyzed as a result. "Now finish it off with Parabolic Charge," Bonnie ordered as a yellow beam of energy was released from Dedenne and wrapped around Flabebe, fainting it in the process.

"Go, PokeBall," Bonnie said as she threw a PokeBall at Flabebe and it started shaking for a few times, then making a beep signalling that the capture was complete. "Yay, a Flabebe," Bonnie said in happiness. "Thank you Dedenne for helping," she said gratefully to the Antenna Pokemon.

Not long afterwards, Bonnie, Squishy, Dedenne and Flabebe had made their way to the Santalune Pokemon Centre and decided to challenge the Gym tomorrow.

The next morning, after collecting her Pokemon from Nurse Joy who healed her Pokemon for the night, Bonnie was ready and made her way to the gym.

"Hi Viola, I would like to challenge you to a gym battle today," Bonnie said as she approached Viola. "Sure thing. Shall we battle now?" she replied. "Yep, that would be fine," Bonnie said, as both trainers made their way to either side of the battlefield.

"This will be an official 2 on 2 battle between the gym leader Viola and the challenger Bonnie. Only the challenger can substitute her Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Are both trainers ready?" the referee asked, earning 2 nods in reply. "Alright, battle begin," declared the referee.

"Flabebe, come on out," Bonnie said as the Single Bloom Pokemon appeared out of its PokeBall. "Surskit, let's battle," Viola said as the Pond Skater Pokemon stood on the battlefield. "You can go first Bonnie," Viola offered. "As you wish," Bonnie replied. "Use Fairy Wind," she commanded as a pink gust of wind was released and headed towards Surskit.

"Use Bubblebeam," Viola ordered as Surskit fired a large array of bubblebeams towards the approaching Fairy Wind, stirring up a dust cloud that dissipated several seconds later. "Both sides seems to be equally powerful, but I won't lose," Bonnie thought. "Use Vine Whip," Bonnie ordered as Flabebe released a large green vine and headed towards Surskit.

"Use Tackle," Viola commanded as the Pond Skater dodged the attacking vine and charged towards the Single Bloom Pokemon. "Don't let it escape. Hit it from the side," Bonnie said as Flabebe then aimed the Vine Whip from sideways towards Surskit's legs, scoring a hit and causing damage.

"Surskit, please get up," Viola pleaded. "Don't let it recover. Finish it off with Fairy Wind," Bonnie ordered as Flabebe then aimed another beam of pink gust of wind towards Surskit. Due to the Pond Skater Pokemon being unable to dodge while recovering from the Vine Whip, Fairy Wind scored a direct hit, fainting the Pokemon.

"Surskit is unable to battle. Flabebe wins," the referee stated. "Can the gym leader please send out her next Pokemon?" requested the referee. "Thanks Surskit, you battled well. Take a good rest," Viola said as she returned her fainted Pokemon. "That Flabebe is really strong, Bonnie. You really impressed me with how well you handled my Surskit," Viola complimented.

"Thanks Viola," Bonnie replied. "Funny thing is, I only caught Flabebe since yesterday." "Well then, there is no doubt that there is a strong bond between you two and I can predict that you two will achieve a lot more later onwards," Viola said. "That means a lot," Bonnie said. "Shall we continue the battle?"

"Of course. Go Vivillon," Viola said. "Use Gust," she ordered as the Scale Pokemon blew up a powerful gust towards Flabebe. "Deflect it with Fairy Wind," Bonnie commanded as Flabebe fired Fairy Wind towards the Gust, creating another cloud of dust.

However, Vivillon wasn't done yet. "Vivillon, fly through the cloud of dust and use Sleep Powder," Viola ordered as it flew straight through the dust cloud and aimed a Sleep Powder towards the Single Bloom Pokemon. Flabebe, who was thoroughly confused on what was going on, did not have time to dodge the attack and was directly hit, resulting in it falling asleep.

"Oh no! Flabebe, please wake up," Bonnie begged, but to no avail. "Now finish with Gust," Viola commanded as Vivillon aimed another gust of wind towards Flabebe and due to Flabebe being asleep and unable to dodge, it was a direct hit, enough to knock it out.

"Flabebe is unable to battle. Vivillon wins," the referee stated. "Can the challenger please send out her next Pokemon?" the referee requested. "Return, Flabebe. You fought really hard and take a well-earned break," Bonnie praised her Pokemon as she recalled it. "Dedenne, I'm counting on you," Bonnie said as Dedenne hopped out of Bonnie's yellow backpack and ran on the battlefield, ready to battle.

"Vivillon, use Bug Buzz," Viola ordered as the Scale Pokemon released an array of buzzes towards the Antenna Pokemon. "Dodge, then use Tackle," Bonnie said as Dedenne effectively dodged the attack and charged towards the Scale Pokemon.

"Not a chance. Use Sleep Powder," Viola commanded as it released an array of blue powders at Dedenne. "Dedenne, use Thunderbolt on yourself to stop the Sleep Powder from working," Bonnie said as the Antenna then used Thunderbolt on itself as a should to protect and eliminate the approaching Sleep Powder.

"Now's our chance," Bonnie said. "Use Nuzzle," she said as Dedenne approached the Scale Pokemon and began nuzzling it with electricity and additionally paralyzing it. With the effect of paralysis, Vivillon's speed was reduced by a half and also potentially unable to move.

"Vivillon, use Stun Spore," Viola ordered as the Scale Pokemon released an array of orange powder towards the Antenna Pokemon. However, due to paralysis, the speed of releasing the attack was reduced by half, giving Dedenne more than enough time to evade the attack. "Jump up, Dedenne, then finish it off with Thunderbolt," Bonnie commanded as Dedenne jumped up and fired a powerful Thunderbolt at Vivillon, who was unable to move and dodge the attack due to paralysis, which scored a direct hit, fainting it in the process.

"Vivillon is unable to battle. Dedenne wins. Therefore the winner is the challenger, Bonnie," the referee stated. "We did it!" Bonnie said in delight as she picked up Dedenne and give it a hug while Dedenne nuzzled Bonnie's check. "Thank you for earning us our 1st gym battle."

Viola, who had returned to her PokeBall, was smiling at Bonnie even though she lost against her. "Well done, Bonnie," she said as she approached Bonnie. "That was a really good battle. Here is the Bug Badge as proof of victory," she continued while handing out the badge to Bonnie. "Thank you, Viola. I really enjoyed the battle," Bonnie replied.

"Now that you have cleared your 1st gym battle, your next gym challenge will be in Cyllage City, and it will take a long while to get there, where you need to go back to Lumiose City and head south-west through Route 5, Camphier Town, Route 7 and the Connecting Cave. So be careful and take care when heading there," Viola advised.

"Thanks Viola, I'll keep that in my mind," Bonnie replied as she headed out of the gym and went to the Pokemon Centre to heal her Pokemon.