Chapter 34 - Max's 4th Gym Battle

Max's Pokemon Moveset Update:

Grovyle: Aerial Ace, Mega Drain, Leer, Quick Attack.

Mightyena: Crunch, Play Rough, Iron Tail, Scary Face.

Vigoroth: Brick Break, Bulk Up, Chip Away, Shadow Ball.

Breloom: Sky Uppercut, Mega Drain, Swords Dance, Stone Edge.

A few days after defeating Wattson at Mauville City, Max has arrived at Lavaridge Town and entered the gym, greeted by Flannery.

"Hi Max, are you here for a gym battle?" asked Flannery.

"Yes, and what are the rules for this battle?" inquired Max.

"Same as when I battled Ash. A 3 VS 3 battle," replied Flannery.

"Sounds fair to me," said Max as the two individuals made their way to either way of the battlefield.

"This will be a 3 VS 3 official gym battle between the gym leader Flannery and the challenger Max. Only the challenger is allowed to substitute Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both trainers please send out their 1st Pokemon?" requested the referee.

"Alright Meg, let's battle," said Flannery as Slugma appeared on the battlefield.

"Go Mightyena," said Max as the Bite Pokemon stood on all 4 of its legs.

"Battle begin," stated the referee.

"Mightyena, start off with Scary Face," commanded Max as the Bite Pokemon approached Slugma with ease and released a scary face at Slugma, harshly reducing the latter's speed.

"Use Yawn," ordered Flannery, using the advantage that Mightyena is at close quarters and allowing it to score a direct hit, causing Mightyena to become drowsy.

"Quick. Use Crunch," said Max as Mightyena became a bit drowsy but managed to hit Slugma, reducing its defense as an additional effect. However, a few seconds later, Mightyena became sleepy and began to fall asleep.

"Now that Mightyena is asleep, keep using Flamethrower," commanded Flannery as Slugma kept releasing an endless array of Flamethrower, heavily damaging Mightyena while Max begged for it to wake up.

After a while, Flannery thought it was time to finish this with one more shot of Flamethrower. "Finish it with your final hit of Flamethrower," said the gym leader.

"Wake up, please, Mightyena," pleaded Max as Flamethrower approached the Bite Pokemon. To Max's luck, it managed to wake up at the last minute and dodge the attack.

"Use Crunch," ordered Max as Mightyena had successfully landed another Crunch attack on Slugma.

However, Flannery wasn't done yet. "Flamethrower," was the word she said as Slugma released a final powerful array of flames at Mightyena, being successful due to the latter at close quarters. After a few seconds, both Pokemon had fainted.

"Both Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both trainers please send out their next Pokemon?" requested the referee.

"Return Mightyena. You did really well. Take a good rest," praised Max as the Bite Pokemon was recalled. "You're up next, Vigoroth," Max said as the Wild Monkey appeared out of its PokeBall.

"You too, Meg," said Flannery as she returned her Slugma. "Your turn, Mag," she said as a Magcargo came out of its PokeBall and appeared on the battlefield.

"Use Reflect," said Flannery as Magcargo produced a transparent glass in front of itself acting a temporary barrier for the Lava Pokemon.

"Start off with Bulk Up," ordered Max as Vigoroth surrounded itself with a red beam of aura, increasing its attack and defense.