Chapter 38 - Max's 5th Gym Battle (Father VS Son)

Max's Pokemon Moveset Update:

Sceptile: Leaf Blade, Focus Blast, Leer, Quick Attack.

Mightyena: Crunch, Play Rough, Iron Tail, Scary Face.

Vigoroth: Brick Break, Bulk Up, Chip Away, Shadow Ball.

Breloom: Sky Uppercut, Seed Bomb, Swords Dance, Stone Edge.

A few days after defeating Flannery at the Lavaridge Gym, Max has arrived back at his home. It was around mid-afternoon by the time he arrived at the Petalburg City Gym.

"Anybody home?" asked Max as he entered his home.

"Hi Max. What brings you here?" asked Caroline as she walked out of the kitchen to greet her son.

"I'm back here to challenge my father in order to earn my 5th badge?" replied Max.

"That makes sense. Honey, did you hear that?" asked Caroline, as she faced another room. A few seconds later, Norman and and his assistant Kenny appeared from the room that Caroline was facing.

"Yes I did," Norman replied, then turning to Max. "Congratulations for collecting the first half of the gym badges. If you wish, we can have our gym battle now," he said to Max.

"Sure, that would be great," said Max as the four of them made their way to the battlefield. Once everyone made their way to the battlefield, Caroline sat near the side of the battlefield to spectate while Norman & Max made their way to either way of the battlefield. Kenny, as usual, held his position as judge.

"This will be an official 2 VS 2 gym battle between the gym leader Norman and the challenger Max. Only the challenger is allowed to substitute Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both sides please take out their first Pokemon?" requested Kenny.

"Vigoroth, I'm counting on you," said Norman as he sent out the Wild Monkey Pokemon onto the battlefield.

"Go, Breloom," said Max as the Mushroom Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Battle begin," said Kenny.

"Son, you have the honour of going first," said Norman.

"Alright, thank you. Breloom, speed things up with Swords Dance," said Max as Breloom created several illusions of swords that began to glow and dance in a circle, sharply boosting its attack.

"Vigoroth, use Crush Claw," said Norman as one of Vigoroth's claws began to glow bluish-white and strike the Mushroom Pokemon, scoring a direct hit and lowering the latter's defense.

"Now use Seed Bomb," ordered Max as Breloom created a seed that was the size of a large bomb and hurled it towards the opposing Vigoroth.

"Destroy it with Fire Punch and strike Breloom with the same attack," ordered Norman as both of Vigoroth's hands became surrounded with fire and destroyed the Seed Bomb while taking damage (due to Seed Bomb being powered up with Swords Dance) and scoring a direct hit on Breloom, additionally burning it.

"Dad's Vigoroth seems to be having a lucky day today. I better defeat it as soon as possible," Max thought of himself. "Now use Sky Uppercut," said Max as one of Breloom's hands glowed white and began to charge towards the incoming Vigoroth.

"Counter with Aerial Ace," ordered Norman as the Wild Monkey Pokemon did a somersault in the air and aimed itself towards the incoming Breloom. Both attacks had directly collided with each other, with neither side giving way to each other.

However, about 5 seconds later, thanks to Swords Dance, Sky Uppercut was able to overpower Aerial Ace and directly strike Vigoroth, inflicting a lot of damage due to being a super effective attack, knocking out the Wild Monkey Pokemon.