Chapter 79 - Section 1 (Part 1: Ash VS Guzma)

On the day of the first full battle:

"You ready Ash?" asked Professor Kukui after the raven-haired trainer had finished breakfast with all of his friends.

"Yes, I should be. Only one problem that I'm currently having though," replied Ash.

"What is it?" asked Hala in concern.

"I've never seen Guzma's battling strategies before so I gotta be careful when facing up against him," said Ash.

"Don't worry, never let that worm of doubt take over your mind. It's pretty much the same case when you battled many of us for the first time as well," assured Tobias.

"True enough. Shall we start heading to the stadium?" asked Ash.

"I thought you'd never ask. Let's go," said Gladion as the entire group began making their way to the stadium.

30 minutes later:

"This will be an official 6 VS 6 battle between Ash Ketchum, Champion of Alola and Guzma, leader of Team Skull. Substitutions can be made at any time and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both trainers please send out their first Pokemon?" requested the referee while Ash and Guzma gave determined expressions to each other.

"First up will be you, Crawdaunt," said Ash as the Rogue Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Ariados, you're up," said Guzma as the Long Leg Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Looks like Ash started off with the type disadvantage," commented Bonnie.

"But in all honesty, that's the least of his concerns. Ash has won a ton of battles with type disadvantages," replied Max.

"Exactly, so there isn't much to worry about," said Alain, and the others nodded in agreement.

"Battle begin," said the referee.

"Start off with Double Team," ordered Guzma as Ariados began to create several copies of itself and circle Crawdaunt.

"Boost things up with Swords Dance," said Ash as Crawdaunt's pincers began to glow white while swinging itself repeatedly, sharply boosting its attack.

"Use Leech Life," said Guzma as the multiple copies of the Ariados began charging towards Crawdaunt while its fangs glowed white.

"Not going to work. Spin and block it with Crabhammer," ordered Ash as Crawdaunt began spinning in circles while its pincers glowed light blue and eventually scored a direct hit on the real Ariados, causing heavy damage as well as eliminating the fake copies.

"In that case, use Swords Dance," said Guzma as Ariados created several animated sharp swords that began to dance in circles, sharply boosting its attack.

"Not going to work either. Use Swords Dance once more," said Ash as Crawdaunt repeated its very first action in this battle.

"Smart move, using the chance to raise attack every time your opponent does so without worrying about taking damage," commented Paul.

"And since Crawdaunt used Swords Dance beforehand, it gives Ash the upper hand," added Tyson.

"You are starting to get on my nerves, Ketchum. Use Leech Life!" said Guzma as Ariados' fangs glowed white again and charged towards Crawdaunt.

"So I've noticed," said Ash in an unimpressed tone. "Finish it off with Aerial Ace," commanded the raven-haired trainer as Crawdaunt jumped into the air and did a somersault before striking Ariados, inflicting super effective damage which was enough to knock the latter out of action.