Chapter 29 - Max's 3rd Gym Battle

Max's Pokemon moveset update:

Grovyle: Aerial Ace, Mega Drain, Leer, Quick Attack.

Mightyena: Bite, Play Rough, Iron Tail, Scary Face.

Slakoth: Blizzard, Shadow Ball, Brick Break.

Shroomish: Mega Drain, Stun Spore, Poisonpowder, Headbutt.

The next morning, after having a hearty breakfast at the Pokemon Centre, Mr Briney and Max made their way to Slateport City from Dewford Town. About 30 minutes later after sailing across Route 107, 108 and 109 by boat, the duo had finally arrived at the seaside city.

"Well, here we are," Mr Briney said as they arrived at harbour of Slateport City and disembarked.

"Thanks a lot for accompanying me until here. It was great seeing you again," Max said gratefully.

"You're welcome Max," the elderly man smiled at Max. "Always a pleasure and best of luck in challenging the rest of the gym leaders as well as the Hoenn League."

"Once again, thank you, and I'll be off now," Max said as both people waved farewell at each other.

After spending a short amount of time passing Route 110, Max has finally arrived at Mauville City, and since it was noon time, he decided to have a quick lunch at the Pokemon Centre then head to the gym. Upon having a substantial lunch and having all of his Pokemon tended to, Max then made his way to the gym and entered the building, only to be greeted by Wattson.

"Max, is that you? It's great to see you again. It's been years since I last met you with Ash, Brock, and May. Are you here on your own journey?" the bearded gym leader asked Max.

"That's right, and I'm here for a gym battle now if you don't mind," replied the young trainer.

"Not a problem. Let's get started," said Wattson as they made their way to either side of the battlefield.

"This will be an official 4 VS 4 battle between the gym leader Wattson and the challenger Max. Only the challenger is allowed to substitute his Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Are both trainers ready?" asked the referee.

"Ready," replied Max and Wattson.

"Alright. Both sides please send out their first Pokemon and battle begin," requested the referee.

"Alright, let's battle, Slakoth," Max said as he sent out the Slacker Pokemon out of its PokeBall and appeared laying on its belly on the battlefield, but stood up after a few seconds.

"Magnemite, come on out," said Wattson as the Magnet Pokemon appeared out of it's PokeBall and floated on the battlefield.

"Max, feel free to attack first," offered the gym leader.

"Gladly, use Shadow Ball," said Max as Slakoth opened it's mouth and fired a Shadow Ball towards Magnemite.

"Dodge it, then use Thunderbolt," said Wattson as Magnemite managed to dodge the attack and launched a Thunderbolt towards the Slacker Pokemon, who could not move during its next turn due to its ability, Truant, thus allowing Thunderbolt to score a direct hit.

"Take the hit temporarily," Max said as he devised a plan.

"Now use Flash Cannon," Wattson ordered as Magnemite then created a silver beam of light using its two magnets and aimed towards Slakoth.

"Counter it with Blizzard," Max said as Slakoth then fired off a heavy storm of snow towards the incoming Flash Cannon, causing a large cloud of dust to whip up between the two Pokemon.