Chapter 50 - Max's 8th Gym Battle

Max's Pokemon Moveset Update:

Sceptile: Energy Ball, Focus Blast, Dragon Claw, Work Up.

Gallade: Close Combat, Zen Headbutt, Bulk Up, Poison Jab.

Breloom: Swords Dance, Seed Bomb, Stone Edge, Sky Uppercut.

Slaking: Chip Away, Earthquake, Play Rough, Brick Break.

Mightyena: Crunch, Play Rough, Scary Face, Iron Tail.

Golduck: Signal Beam, Hydro Pump, Rain Dance, Ice Beam.

A few days after defeating Liza & Tate at the Mossdeep City, Max has finally arrived at Sootopolis City by boat and has just collected all his Pokemon from the Pokemon Centre and began to make his way to the gym.

"Well, if it isn't Max. Long time no see," said the gym leader, Juan as he saw the young trainer enter the building.

"Indeed it has been. Are you available right now for a gym battle?" asked Max.

"Of course. The rules are exactly the same when I faced against Ash. Is that okay with you?" inquired Juan.

"Not a problem. Would be nice to face a new gym battle rule for once in a while," answered Max.

"Then without further ado, let's get started," said Juan as he led Max to a large swimming pool, where the first out of the four matches is to be held, being a double battle.

"This will be an official gym battle between the gym leader, Juan, and the challenger, Max. The gym battle will be split into four rounds, with the first round being a double battle and the rest being 1 VS 1 battles. Both sides are allowed to use up to 5 Pokemon each. Substitution during each individual round is not allowed and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both sides please take out their first Pokemon?" requested Sebastian, the butler of Juan and the judge.

"Go Luvdisc and Whiscash," said Juan as the Rendezvous & Whiskers Pokemon appeared into the water in the battlefield.

"Alright, let's do this, Golduck and Mightyena," said Max as the Duck & Bite Pokemon appeared in the battlefield.

"Battle begin," said Sebastian.

"You may go first," offered Juan.

"Golduck, start off with Rain Dance. Mightyena, use Crunch on Whiscash," ordered Max as the Duck Pokemon summoned several dark clouds that began to release rain that covered the battlefield while Mightyena bared its fangs and began to charge towards Whishcash.

"Luvdisc, use Bounce on Golduck and Whiscash, use Rock Smash on Mightyena," commanded as the Rendezvous Pokemon jumped into the air and began to charge towards Golduck at a speed two times faster than usual (due to Rain Dance activating its ability, Swift Swim) while one of Whiscash's fins began to glow white and form a fist whilst aiming towards Mightyena.

Immediately, Mightyena's Crunch had clashed with Whishcash's Rock Smash, colliding and neither side giving way to each other. However, Juan wasn't done yet.

"Now smash it with your other fin," ordered Juan as Whishcash's other fin glowed white, forming a fist and managed to score a direct hit on Mightyena, being a super effective attack and inflict a lot of damage. As a result, Mightyena was knocked backwards.

"Impressive," Max thought to himself. "Golduck, use Hydro Pump on Whiscash," commanded Max as Golduck opened its mouth and fired a powerful jet of water, boosted by Rain Dance and managed to score a direct hit on Whishcash in return, knocking it backwards too.