Chapter 37 - Ula'ula Island Grand Trial

A few days after completing Acerola's challenge, Ash was ready to challenge the Ula'ula Island Grand Trial, with Acerola leading the rest of the group to meet her uncle, Nanu, who is also the Island Kahuna.

Not long afterwards, Acerola and the rest of the group arrived at the Police Station, where Nanu was working.

"Uncle Nanu," called out Acerola. "There is a trainer who wants to challenge you in a Grand Trial Battle." A few seconds later, a rather grizzly looking figure with grey hair appeared in front of the group.

"So who's the challenger?" asked Nanu.

"That would be me," replied Ash, catching Nanu's attention.

"Hmm," Nanu thought to himself, eyeing Ash, Pikachu and Lucario thoughtfully. "He must be a really strong trainer with a certain air of confidence."

"Alright, I accept your challenge. Follow me," replied Nanu as Acerola and the rest of the group was led to a battlefield a few metres nearby.

"Acerola, will you be the referee?" Nanu asked his niece.

"Sure thing," replied Acerola as she walked to the side of the battlefield and stood midway on its length. Professor Kukui and his students sat on the other side of Acerola, watching the battle about to begin.

"This will be an official 3 on 3 Ula'ula Island Grand Trial Challenge between the Island Kahuna and the challenger Ash. Only the challenger is allowed to substitute Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both sides please take out their first Pokemon?" requested Acerola.

"Krookodile, you're up first," said Nanu as the Intimidation Pokemon appeared on the battlefield, standing on its rear legs and giving out a loud roar.

"Torkoal, I choose you," said Ash as the Coal Pokemon appeared on all four of its legs. The moment Torkoal entered the battlefield, harsh sunlight began to cover the battlefield. At the sight of Krookodile's ability, Intimidate, its attack was lowered.

Several gasps and comments of surprise came from the students at the sight of Torkoal being sent up against Nanu's Krookodile.

"Why Torkoal? It's up with a type disadvantage," commented Lana.

"Torkoal may be at a type disadvantage, but knowing Ash, he isn't the type of trainer who solely relies on type advantage to win," said Lillie.

"That's right," said Professor Kukui. "The battle hasn't even started yet, so it's too early to come to conclusions at the moment."

"True, but Nanu is an Island Kahuna, so his Pokemon would be strong as well. I hope Ash knows what he's doing," said Lana.

"Battle begin," said Acerola.

"Krookodile, start things off with Sand Tomb," ordered Nanu as the Intimidation Pokemon whipped up several arrays of sand and began to aim it towards Torkoal.

"Use Heat Wave," commanded Ash as Torkoal opened its mouth and released a hot breath of orange flames towards the incoming Sand Tomb, causing an explosion and a powerful dust cloud to stir up between the two Pokemon. Both Pokemon took damage from the explosion. 

"Strike with Earthquake," ordered Nanu as Krookodile then released a powerful tremor on the battlefield and head towards the Coal Pokemon.

"Counter with your own Earthquake," ordered Ash as Torkoal began to use its own Earthquake and aim towards the attack from Krookodile. However, due to Krookodile's ability, Intimidate, the power of Torkoal's Earthquake was reduced and the Intimidation Pokemon's attack was able to overpower the latter and score a direct hit on Torkoal, being a super effective move and inflicting a lot of damage on it.