Chapter 30 - Ula'ula Island Trial Challenge (Part 1)

After earning the Akala Stamp, the entire group had decided to spend the entire next day on relaxing in the facilities of the Pokemon Paradise Resort, then heading to the Hokulani Observatory in Ula'ula Island, located on the summit of Mount Hokulani.

On the morning of the day the entire group except for Olivia was about to leave, the latter had bid farewell to each other at Heahea Beach, with Ash's crew then heading to Ula'ula beach by using Mantine Surf across the channel of water.

"Thanks for that battle during the Akala Island Trial, Ash. It was one of the toughest and intense ones I have faced in a long time," said Olivia.

"Same here. It was very fun battling you," replied Ash.

"And good luck with challenging the rest of the Island Trial Challenge and Grand Trials as well," said Olivia.

"Thanks Olivia, we'll be heading now," replied Ash as he, Professor Kukui and the students hopped onto the Mantine Surf and made their way across the water, while Olivia waved farewell to them and watched them disappear into the distance.

About 15 minutes later, the group arrived at Ula'ula beach and headed to the nearest town, through Route 12, 11 and into Malie City, where they had a quick lunch at the Pokemon and Centre. After lunch, they headed north-west through Route 10 and arrived at Mount Hokulani, where they boarded the Exeggutor Express to the summit, finally arriving at the Holukani Observatory.

"Well, here we are," said Sophocles. "I'll take Ash through the Trial Gate while you guys visit the other areas of the observatory."

"Agreed," said Professor Kukui. "Good luck Ash," he said as the rest of the group went on their own ways.

"You ready, Ash?" asked Sophocles.

"Ready," replied the raven-haired trainer as they entered the Trial Gate that led to the inside of the Observatory.

"What will happen," explained Sophocles, "is that there will be a Totem Vikavolt, and two Ally Charjabug. It will call the Charjabug after its first turn, and depending on its status before its 1st turn, the particular 1 of the 2 Charjabug it summons will vary."

"Got it," replied Ash. "Go Noctowl," the trainer said as the Owl Pokemon appeared flying from its PokeBall. While Noctowl appeared out of its PokeBall, the Totem Vikavolt appeared in front of Ash, Pikachu, Sophocles, and Noctowl.

"Use Hurricane," ordered Ash as Noctowl flapped its wings, causing a powerful hurricane to break out and aim towards Vikavolt. 

However, Vikavolt had released its Spark attack and sent it towards the opposing Hurricane, causing a dust of cloud to appear. A few seconds later, Hurricane proved to be more powerful despite against a type disadvantage and managed to overpower Spark and score a direct hit Vikavolt and inflict a fair amount of damage.

After the Totem Vikavolt recovered from that Hurricane attack, it temporarily retreated from battle and summoned a Ally Charjabug, who started off with a Charge attack in order to boost its electric-type attacks (only for its next turn if the next attack is an electric-type attack).

"Use Extrasensory," ordered Ash, as Noctowl's eyes glowed gold and opened its beak, released a multicoloured circular beam with white crescents around it at Charjabug.

Unfortunately, for Noctowl, after Charjabug had finished using Charge, it began releasing its Spark attack and managed to overpower Extrasensory and score a direct hit on the Owl Pokemon and creating a lot of damage due to being a super effective attack.

"Noctowl, are you alright?" Ash asked in concern, earning a nod in reply. "Good, now charge straight towards Charjabug and don't attack unless I tell you to," the raven-haired trainer commanded as Noctowl began accelerating towards Charjabug.