Chapter 46 - Max's 7th Gym Battle

Max's Pokemon Moveset Update:

Sceptile: Energy Ball, Focus Blast, Dragon Claw, Work Up.

Gallade: Brick Break, Zen Headbutt, Bulk Up, Poison Jab.

Breloom: Swords Dance, Seed Bomb, Stone Edge, Sky Uppercut

Slaking: Chip Away, Earthquake, Play Rough, Brick Break

Mightyena: Crunch, Scary Face, Iron Tail, Play Rough.

Golduck: Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Signal Beam.

After catching a Golduck recently and surfing across Route 124 from Lilycove City, Max as finally arrived at Mossdeep City to challenge the gym leader.

Upon entering the gym, he was greeted by two siblings.

"Hi Max. Long time no see," said the male sibling.

"Tate and Liza, it's so good to see you again," said Max.

"It's good to see you too," replied Liza.

"So are you able to accept my gym battle challenge?" asked Max.

"Absolutely, let's get started," answered Tate as they led Max to the battlefield.

"As usual, our mother is the referee," said Liza.

"This will be an official gym battle, being a double battle, between the gym leaders, Liza and Tate, and the challenger Max. Neither sides are allowed to substitute Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle," said Rachel. "Can both sides please take out their Pokemon?"

"Lunatone, let's battle," said Liza as the Meteorite Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Solrock, let's do this," said Tate as the counterpart of Lunatone appeared on the battlefield.

"Exactly the same when battling Ash. Alright, Breloom and Golduck, let's go," said Max as the Mushroom Pokemon and the Duck Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Battle begin," said Rachel.

"Max, you can go first," said Liza.

"Alright, as you wish. Breloom, speed things with Swords Dance," commanded Max as the Mushroom Pokemon created several animated swords that began dancing in a circle, sharply boosting its attack.

"Solrock, use Acrobatics on Breloom," ordered Tate as Solrock began charging towards Breloom in mid air.

"Golduck, keep Solrock at bay by using Hydro Pump," said Max as Golduck opened its mouth and fired a powerful jet of water at Solrock, scoring a direct hit on the latter and inflicting serious damage.

"Lunatone, use Grass Knot on Golduck," said Liza as the Meteorite Pokemon created a knot of grass that struck Golduck and tripping it over as well as inflicting a lot of damage.

"Golduck, use Signal Beam on Solrock," ordered Max as the red jewel on the Duck Pokemon began to glow, releasing a powerful yellowish green beam of light towards Golduck.

"As for you Breloom, use Seed Bomb on Lunatone," added Max as the Mushroom Pokemon created a giant seed and fired it towards Lunatone.

"Solrock, counter that Signal Beam with Stone Edge," commanded Tate as the Meteorite Pokemon created two rings of sharp stones and began firing them towards the Signal Beam. An explosion broke out damaging both Pokemon.

"Lunatone, use Ice Beam on Breloom," said Liza as the Meteorite Pokemon fired a powerful beam of ice towards the Mushroom Pokemon. However, due to Swords Dance, Seed Bomb managed to overpower Ice Beam and inflict heavy damage on Lunatone.

"Lunatone, don't give up. Use Sunny Day," ordered Liza as the Meteorite Pokemon released a powerful beam of sunlight that covered the entire battlefield.

"Solrock, use Acrobatics on Breloom," said Tate as the Meteorite Pokemon began charging towards the Mushroom Pokemon while in mid air.

"Golduck, use Hydro Pump on Solrock. Breloom, knock Lunatone out with Seed Bomb once more," ordered Max as both Pokemon used their respective attacks on their given targets.

Whilst Breloom managed to hit Lunatone with Seed Bomb, it was also struck by Acrobatics from Solrock. However, Solrock was also hit by Hydro Pump and took some damage, with the original damage being reduced by 50% due to Sunny Day. As a result, both Breloom and Lunatone has fainted.

"Both Breloom and Lunatone are unable to battle," said Rachel.

"Return, Lunatone. Tate, I'm counting the rest on you," said Liza as she returned the Meteorite Pokemon back into its PokeBall.

"Good job, Breloom. Let Golduck and I finish the rest," said Max as the Mushroom Pokemon was recalled.

"Alright Golduck, clear the Sunny Day by using Rain Dance," ordered Max as the Duck Pokemon released a large set of dark clouds that covered the Sunny Day. A few seconds later, it began to rain.

"Solrock, use Zen Headbutt," commanded Tate as the Meteorite Pokemon's head began to glow blue and managed to strike Golduck and inflict damage.

"Use Stone Edge," added Tate as Solrock produced 2 rings of sharp stones and began to fire them towards Golduck.

"Golduck, dodge it," said Max, but due to the effects of Zen Headbutt, the Duck Pokemon flinched and could not move, resulting in it being hit by the powerful attack and taking serious damage.

"Finish this with one more shot of Zen Headbutt," said Tate as Solrock's head began to glow blue once more and aim towards Golduck.

"Dodge it," Max said smirking, knowing that Golduck's ability has finally been activated. Upon hearing its trainer's commands, it managed to evade the attack swiftly without taking damage.

"But how?" asked Liza and Tate, who were shocked seeing how fast Golduck managed to dodge the attack.

"That's Golduck's ability, Swift Swim. When it rains, the speed of Golduck is doubled," explained Max. "Now Golduck, finish this off with Hydro Pump," said Max as the Duck Pokemon opened its mouth and fired  a powerful jet of water towards Solrock, scoring a direct hit and knocking the latter out.

"Solrock is unable to battle. Golduck wins. Therefore, the winner is the challenger Max," declared Rachel.

"Well done Golduck. Good job on earning your first victory in your gym battle," said Max as he returned the Duck Pokemon back into its PokeBall.

"Return, Solrock. Take a good rest. You did really well," said Tate as the Meteorite Pokemon was recalled.

"Congrats on winning against us Max. I'm impressed how you outsmarted us with that combination of Rain Dance and Swift Swim," said Liza.

"As proof of victory, here is the Mind Badge," said Tate as he gave Max the badge.

"Thanks Liza and Tate," said Max as he took the badge.

"Only one badge left," commented Tate.

"Good luck when battling against Juan. He has quite a formidable team, especially Milotic," said Liza.

"Thanks again guys. I will be heading off now," said Max as he began to make his way out of the gym towards the Pokemon Centre.

"Take care," said Liza and Tate as they waved farewell to the figure of Max leaving the gym.