Chapter 25 - Akala Island Trial Challenge (Part 2)

"Ash, are you ready for my challenge?" Kiawe asked after having breakfast. "Ready than ever," replied the raven haired trainer. "Well then, let's head to Wela Volcano Park," Kiawe said as the duo exited the front entrance of the resort. Due to having to head north through Route 6, east through Royal Avenue, north through Route 7 and finally west to Wela Volcano Park, the trek took about an hour.

"Alright, here we are," Kiawe said as they finally arrived at the Volcano Park. "The challenge is pretty straightforward. You need to find the Totem Marowak and battle it. Note that it will summon its ally Salazzle on its first turn," advised Kiawe. "Got it," Ash replied in acknowledgement. 

After exploring the area of Wela Volcano Park, a short figure holding a bone with blue flames on each end approached Ash and challenged him to a battle. "So that is an Alolan Marowak. Is it a Fire and Ghost type?" the raven haired trainer asked. "That's right. Now send out your first Pokemon," said Kiawe.

"Alright, Rockruff. I choose you," Ash said as the Puppy Pokemon appeared out of its Pokeball and growled at the opposing Marowak. "Begin with Accelerock," Ash said as Rockruff surrounded itself with a white aura, charging towards the Bone Keeper Pokemon at a high speed. However, the Alolan Marowak stood its ground and fired a Bone Club, effectively eliminating the approaching Accelerock causing a fair amount of damage on Rockruff due to being a super effective attack.

Upon deflecting the Accelerock, the Marowak then summoned its ally Salazzle, which soon appeared in front of Rockruff while the Totem Marowak temporarily retreated. Ash, while watching the Totem Marowak summon its ally Salazzle, had suddenly devised a plan and gave a small smirk to himself, only to be noticed by Kiawe. "What has Ash got in his mind now?" he thought to himself.

"Rockruff, use Stone Edge," Ash ordered as the Puppy Pokemon's eyes glowed blue and 2 rings of stones surrounded it, firing towards the Toxic Lizard Pokemon. Salazzle, who was still a fair distance from the approaching Stone Edge, fired a Flamethrower, negating the opposing Stone Edge and creating a large cloud of dust which caused the Toxic Lizard Pokemon to become unable to see its surroundings while Rockruff was able to see.

"Now use Accelerock," Ash said as Rockruff snuck behind Salazzle from the surrounding cloud of dust, glowing with white aura and directly hitting Salazzle, knocking it a few metres backwards. Salazzle, who had shortly recovered from the damage caused by Accelerock, then fired an array of Sludge Bombs at Rockruff.

"Deflect it back with Iron Tail," Ash ordered as the Puppy Pokemon's tail glowed silver and struck every single approaching Sludge Bomb back at Salazzle, creating more damage and due to Steel Type being immune to Poison Type moves, it did no damage. Despite being hit back with Sludge Bomb, it only took a little amount of damage from that counter attack due to Poison Type moves not very effective against Poison Type Pokemon.

"Don't let it recover, and finish it with Accelerock," Ash commanded as a white beam of aura enveloped Rockruff, causing it to charge quickly towards Salazzle, and due to the Toxic Lizard having inefficient time to recover and dodge the incoming attack, Salazzle was directly hit. As a result of being hit by a super effective move, the Toxic Lizard fainted.

"One down, one to go," Kiawe commented as he watched the ally Salazzle disappear after recovering from fainting and the Totem Marowak reappearing in front of them. "Rockruff, would you like to take a rest or would you want to continue to battle?" Ash asked the Puppy Pokemon. Rockruff then growled at the opposing Marowak then barked back at Ash.

"Oh, so you want to continue battling?" Ash inquired, earning a nod in reply. "Very well, use Stone Edge," the raven haired trainer ordered as Rockruff's eyes glowed blue, creating 2 rings of stone and fired towards the Bone Keeper Pokemon. Like last time, Marowak then fired off a Bone Club which eliminated the first few stones but due to having a large number of stones released from Stone Edge, Bone Club was not efficient in negating the attack, causing the Bone Keeper Pokemon to be hit by the remaining stones, taking a lot of damage.

After recovering from the damage caused by Stone Edge, the Totem Marowak then spun its bone, where it began to envelop with purple flames, aiming towards Rockruff. "Use Accelerock," Ash said as Rockruff enveloped itself with a white beam of energy, rapidly charging towards the Bone Keeper Pokemon.

Both moves collided with each other, with neither giving way towards its opposition. "Now use Bite," Ash said as Rockruff's fangs glowed white and aimed towards the Bone Keeper Pokemon. However, the Totem Marowak countered with Flame Wheel, enveloping itself with strong flames and both attacks hit each other, with Rockruff taking a little amount of damage due to Flame Wheel not very effective against Rockruff while Marowak took a lot of damage from Bite.

Both moves had hit each other, again causing them to be sent back several metres. Despite struggling to get up, both Pokemon had fainted. "Well Ash, you've won the challenge. Congratulations. Even though this is Rockruff's first battle with, it did really well," Kiawe complimented. "As proof of victory, here is the Firium Z," he said while handing Ash a red Z-Crystal. "Thanks Kiawe," Ash said, accepting the prize. "Take a good rest, Rockruff," the raven haired trainer said while recalling the Puppy Pokemon.

"Now that you've finished my challenge, you only have Mallow's challenge left to complete before you challenge the Grand Trial. And after you complete this Grand Trial, you will be halfway through," Kiawe said. "Yep, now that I've finished your challenge, let's head back and relax for the rest of today," Ash said, with Kiawe nodding in agreement as the duo, along with Pikachu and Lucario, made their way back to the Pokemon Paradise Resort in Heahea City.