Chapter 83 - Section 2 (Part 1: Gary VS Barry)

"This will be an official 6 VS 6 battle between the trainers Gary and Barry. Substitutions can be made at any time and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both trainers please send out their first Pokemon?" requested the referee.

"Scizor, let's go," said Gary as the Pincer Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Staraptor, let's win this," said Barry as the Predator Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Battle begin," said the referee.

"Scizor, use Swords Dance," ordered Gary as the Pincer Pokemon created several animated swords which began to dance in a circle, sharply boosting its attack.

"Use Brave Bird," commanded Barry as the Predator Pokemon dived towards Scizor while its body became surrounded with a blue aura of energy, scoring a direct hit and dealing effective damage as well as taking recoil damage.

"Not sure if Brave Bird was a good choice against Scizor," said Dawn.

"I personally don't think so, seeing that Barry's Staraptor's movset is Brave Bird, Close Combat, Steel Wing and Double Edge," replied Ash. "The only moves that would do normal damage to Gary's Scizor is Brave Bird and Close Combat."

"And the problem with Brave Bird and Close Combat is the recoil damage taken and the reduction of defense & special defense respectively," added Brock.

"Exactly, but I'm guessing Barry is trying to use speed as the upper hand in this battle," said Paul.

"Well, let's see how he utilises it," said Ash.

"Use Close Combat," said Barry as Staraptor began diving towards the opposing Scizor.

"Counter with Iron Head," ordered Gary as Scizor's head glowed silvery-white and went head-on towards the incoming Staraptor, causing a collision that involved both Pokemon taking damage.

"Use Brick Break," said Gary as one of Scizor's pincers glowed white and charged towards Staraptor.

"Dodge it," said Barry, but the Predator Pokemon had flinched as a result of being hit by Iron Head, thus getting directly knocked down by the opposing Brick Break and taking more damage.

"Now finish it off with Iron Head once more," commanded Gary as Scizor's head glowed silvery-white again while charging towards Staraptor.

"Get up and use Brave Bird," ordered Barry as Staraptor managed to recover from the previous attack and dived towards Scizor while its body became surrounded with a blue aura of energy.

Seconds later, another collision occurred, causing an explosion that dissipated half a minute later, revealing that Scizor was still standing while taking a lot of damage while Staraptor had been knocked out from the impact.

"Staraptor is unable to battle. Scizor wins," said the referee.

"Despite having a moveset that puts Staraptor at a disadvantage, I must say I'm surprised seeing the damage it managed to inflict on Scizor," commented Paul.

"Agreed, Barry has certainly been keeping his game up," said Dawn.

"Return Staraptor, you were amazing out there. Hitmonlee, you're up next," said Barry as he recalled the Predator Pokemon and sent out the Kicking Pokemon.

"Battle begin," said the referee.

"Use Brick Break," ordered Gary as one of Scizor's pincers glowed white while charging towards Hitmonlee.

Once Scizor was in close quarters with Hitmonlee, Barry gave an order. "Use Blaze Kick," he said as one of the Kicking Pokemon's legs became surrounded with flames and directly struck Scizor, dealing severe damage and eventually knock the latter out.