Chapter 70 - A Handful of Reunion Battles (Part 2)

"Hey Ash, remember our last battle we had in Sinnoh?" asked Barry, who was with the raven-haired trainer and Ritchie after eating breakfast.

"Yeah, what about it?" answered Ash.

"Regarding that, since Team Rocket had disrupted it and we never had the chance to complete it back then, I would like to finish it off now," said Barry.

"Fair enough, same Pokemon as last time?" asked Ash.

"Of course, so when are you able to battle?" said Barry.

"Now should be fine. We've got an hour before the morning matches begin. Plus, it would be good practice for your single match since it hasn't been held yet," said Ash.

"Sweet, let's go," said Barry.

"Ash, you don't mind if I battle you after the morning matches, with a 3 VS 3 battle?" inquired Ritchie.

"Hmm, shouldn't be a problem," replied the raven-haired trainer. "Could you referee this battle?"

"That's fine with me," said Ritchie as the three of them made their way to one of the battlefields.

"This will be an unofficial 1 on 1 battle between Ash and Barry, with both sides only allowed to use 1 Pokemon each. Substitutions are not allowed and the battle will be over when either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both sides please send out their Pokemon?" asked Ritchie.

"Empoleon, let's go," said Barry as the Emperor Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Infernape, I choose you," said Ash as the Flame Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Battle begin," said Ritchie.

"Barry, you may have the first move," said Ash.

"As you wish. Empoleon, use Hydro Pump," ordered Barry as the Emperor Pokemon opened its mouth and fired a jet of water at Infernape.

"Dodge it and use Swords Dance," commanded Ash as Infernape swiftly dodged the attack and created a circle of animated swords that began dancing, sharply increasing the Flame Pokemon's attack.

"Not bad. Use Drill Peck," said Barry as Empoleon's beak began to extend in length while its body began to spin at a high speed and charge towards Infernape.

"Counter with Thunder Punch," ordered Ash as both of Infernape's fists began to glow yellow with electricity and successfully block the incoming attack with one of its fists.

"Now strike with your spare fist," added Ash as Infernape's other fist had hit its mark and caused Empoleon to become knocked backwards while taking a lot of damage.

"Impressive," Barry thought to himself as he watched his Empoleon recover from the attack.

"Finish this off with Close Combat," commanded Ash as Infernape charged towards Empoleon at a high speed while preparing to strike the Emperor Pokemon.

"Wait for it," Barry thought to himself, and as Infernape was within close quarters with Empoleon, he gave an order. "Use Hydro Cannon," he said as Empoleon opened its mouth and fired a large powerful of water at Infernape, scoring a direct hit on the Flame Pokemon and damaging it.

However, despite inflicting a lot of damage on Infernape, the deadly attack was not enough to stop the Flame Pokemon on its tracks and it continued to approach Empoleon and strike it with its fists repeatedly, dealing serious damage with the back up of Swords Dance. A short while later, when Infernape was done, Empoleon eventually collapsed.

"Empoleon is unable to battle. Infernape wins. Therefore, the winner is Ash Ketchum, Champion of Alola," said Ritchie.

"Oh man, I lost," said Barry in a slightly disappointed tone.