Chapter 15 - Max's 1st Gym Battle

At Professor Birch's Lab, in Littleroot Town:

"Alright Max, which 1 of the 3 starters would you like to choose?" Professor Birch asked Max while pointing at Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip that were standing in front of its PokeBalls on the table.

"Well, I choose Treecko, Professor Birch," Max replied as he pointed at the Wood Gecko Pokemon. "Treecko," it replied in happiness while Torchic and Mudkip were a bit sad and disappointed. "I'm sorry, Torchic and Mudkip," Max said in sympathy, "but don't worry. Professor Birch said there will be 2 other new trainers coming soon and they will definite choose you as their starter Pokemon," he continued, earning cries of happiness. Max then turned to Professor Birch.

"Thank you, Professor Birch, for giving out my first starter Pokemon," he said in gratitude. "No problem, Max. And here are 5 PokeBalls and a PokeDex. Good luck on collecting your gym badges and competing in the Hoenn League," Professor Birch replied as he gave Max 5 PokeBalls and a PokeDex. "The first gym is at Rustboro City, which means that you would have to go through Oldale Town & Petalburg City first," he continued.

"Right. Since my home is in Petalburg City, I will first show my parents my 1st starter Pokemon before continuing to Rustboro City," Max said. "That's a good idea. Now good luck and take care on your first journey," Professor Birch advised. "I will. Thanks again, Professor Birch," Max replied as he exited the research lab and began heading to Petalburg City.

At Route 101:

While walking from Littleroot Town to Oldale Town, Max decided to stop by the preserve centre on the way, a place which he visited during his early days in travelling in Hoenn. After Max knocked on the door, he was greeted by a women who had green hair, by the name of Katrina.

"Hi Max, it's been a very long while. How have you been?" Katrina asked. "Hi Katrina, I just came here to visit Mightyena if that's okay with you," Max replied. "Of course, no problem," Katrina stated. "Come on in," she said as she gestured Max to the backyard where the 4 Mightyena were kept.

"Mightyena!" Max exclaimed, earning the attention of the 4 Mightyena, in which the 4 Bite Pokemon came running towards Max and tackled him into a hug, causing Max to fall backwards on the ground. "It's been too long. How have you been?" Max asked.

Katrina, who was watching the entire scene, was happy that the 4 Mightyena had reunited with its long-time friend. She then came to a decision and approached Max and the 4 Pokemon.

"Hey Max," Katrina said. "Say, would you like to take the Mightyena that evolved the latest from Poochyena with you for your journey throughout Hoenn? I know that you have only recently begun your journey and received a Pokemon as a starter from Professor Birch, so would you like to accept a Mightyena as your 2nd Pokemon?" she asked Max.

Max, who already got up after falling over backwards, was astounded by Katrina's request. "But what about the other 3?" he replied in inquiry. "Don't worry about them. They will still be here to help my look after the preserve centre," Katrina stated. "Alright, then," Max said as he took out a PokeBall and faced the Mightyena who evolved from Poochyena the latest.

"Mightyena, would you like to accompany me throughout my journey in Hoenn?" Max asked Mightyena and the Bite Pokemon replied and poked its head on Max's Pokeball, causing it to be withdrawn into its new PokeBall. After a few beeps, the PokeBall stopped shaking.

"Thank you Katrina for allowing me to take Mightyena with me for my journey in Hoenn," Max said in gratitude at Katrina. "No worries Max," Katrina said. "Take good care of it for me." "I will. No need to worry," Max said as he walked out of his journey and began heading to Petalburg City.