Chapter 49 - Poni Island Grand Trial

The next morning, after having breakfast, Ash, Pikachu, Lucario, Professor Kukui and the students began to make their way towards Hapu's house after walking through the Poni Wilds and the Ancient Poni Path. Upon arrival, Professor Kukui knocked on the door.

"Coming," answered a female voice as the group heard footsteps approaching the door and opening it.

"Ah, Professor Kukui," said the figure.

"Morning, Hapu. We have a challenger here with us to complete the Poni Island Grand Trial," said Professor Kukui.

"And that might be you?" asked Hapu as she faced Ash, Pikachu and Lucario.

"Yes," replied Ash.

"Alright, let's go," said Hapu as she joined the group for the remainder of the journey to the Ancient Poni Path, in order to progress into the Poni Breaker Coast, where the battlefield is located.

"Alright, here we are," said Hapu as the group arrived at the battlefield. "Professor Kukui, are you willing to be the judge for this battle?" Hapu asked Professor Kukui.

"Not a problem," replied Professor Kukui as the students went to the side to spectate while Ash & Hapu made their way to one end of the battlefield.

"This will be an official 1 on 1 Grand Trial Battle between the Island Kahuna Hapu and the challenger Ash. Neither side are allowed to substitute Pokemon and the battle will be over when either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both sides please send out their Pokemon?"

"Go Mudsdale," said Hapu as the Draft Horse Pokemon appeared on the battlefield, causing the ground to shake a bit due to its heavy weight.

"Let's do this, Charizard," said Ash as the Flame Pokemon appeared onto the battlefield.

"Finally, I've always wanted to see Ash's Charizard battle," said Kiawe in excitement.

"Me too, the only times we've seen it was when Ash rides on it," added Sophocles.

"Battle begin," said Professor Kukui.

"Charizard, let's start this off with Flamethrower," said Ash as the Flame Pokemon opened its mouth and fired a powerful jet of flames at the opposing Mudsdale.

"Counter with Mega Kick," ordered Hapu as Mudsdale jumped up towards the Flamethrower while powering up a kick from its rear 2 legs while taking a lot of damage from the fire type attack and scored a direct hit on Charizard, inflicting damage. Both Pokemon were knocked backwards.

"Guess it's time to get serious," said Ash. "You ready Charizard?" asked the raven-haired trainer, earning an affirmative nod in return. "Then let's do this. Key stone, respond to my heart. Beyond evolution, MEGA EVOLVE," said Ash as a bright yellow beam of energy began to envelop between Ash's Key Stone and the Charizardite Y. The moment when Ash's Charizard finished changing form, a harsh beam of sunlight began to cover the entire battlefield.

"Amazing," said Lillie in awe at the new appearance of Ash's Charizard.

"The stakes have gotten higher. This will be fun," commented Hapu. "Use Mega Kick once more," commanded Hapu as the rear 2 legs of Mudsdale began to glow white and aim itself towards Charizard.

"Dodge it and use Air Slash," ordered Ash as Charizard deftly dodged the attack and flapped its wings, creating sharp cuts of wind towards Mudsdale and scoring a direct hit.

"Impressive. But we won't give up that easily. Use Stomp," ordered Hapu, but she saw that Mudsdale was unable to move.

"That's one additional effect of Air Slash. If it successfully hits the target, it sometimes causes the latter to flinch," explained Ash. "Now Charizard, use Dragon Pulse," ordered Ash as the Flame Pokemon opened its mouth and fired a multi-coloured beam of energy at Mudsdale, scoring another direct hit due to the Draft Horse Pokemon being unable to move.