I

Darkness was everywhere; you couldn't see a thing. A faint voice — which belonged to a male so familiar — was calmly uttering your name. It was the voice of someone you once cherished with all of your heart, but now he had descended into complete madness.

"(Y/n), love. Where are you?" He sounded too rational and given the circumstances, you felt even more scared. He muttered your name over and over again, letting it run over his tongue to savour its taste. By then, you had run out of tears to cry, the feeling of calamity the only thing that remained after you had lost everything.

Gripping your necklace in the darkness, the hourglass pendant around your neck was the only thing that kept you sane. You could do nothing but watch as the world around you slowly dissolved into pixels that grew more and more in size. Time was passing; you could feel the sand coursing through the small cracked glass.

It was too late already. A harsh pain shot through your body as tears ran down your face. You yourself started to dissolve into nothing but mere pixels. The end had come and it was time to let go. The voice grew louder in contrast. A hand was trying to hold onto you. Although he was insane, he sounded desperate.

Your chosen dialogue options will determine the ending — so be careful!

Waking up from your nightmare, you could feel yourself slowly transcending into consciousness. The sun was shining outside and the window was open as you could hear nightingales chirping happily. The wind still seemed to carry whispers of your name with it, making a chill run down your spine.

Looking at your calendar, you realised it was the first day after summer break. It was that day again: the start of a new playthrough. Wondering how this time would end, you tried to remember what happened the last time. You tried and tried, but nothing clear came out of it.

Yawning to yourself, you convinced yourself that everything had just been a simple dream. Nothing of it was real; but then, why was it that the situation seemed unbearably familiar to you? Deciding to not think about it any further, you got up and entered your tiny bathroom.

"And again, the hero of Halo City Myth has saved the town hall from a dangerous attack. The mayor has thanked the mysterious hero profusely, announcing that he will be given a reward." The voice of a news speaker came out of your radio after turning it on. You furrowed your eyebrows as you sharpened your ears, annoyance cursing through your veins. "But there's still a whole city wondering about the only question left in the room: Who is this courageous hero? Now, back to Mrs. Sunshine with the newest weather reports-"

You pressed the button to turn the radio off as soon as the interesting news ended and the unnecessary ones started. You sighed in disbelief at the sheer naivety of this whole city and them believing that a hero would come and save them all. Looking into the mirror in front of you, you could see your reflection distorted and pixelated.

"The game hasn't fully loaded yet, has it?" You let your thoughts exit your mouth freely as you put a smile onto your face. Expecting to see the same smile on your reflection as well, you were stunned when a crying girl appeared instead. Frozen in your own place, you could feel your blood running cold.

Disregarding it as a minor glitch, you hurried out of your bathroom and grabbed your bag before exiting your small apartment. The door clicked behind you as soon as you stepped outside, the fresh air filling your nostrils. Tall buildings covered the clear sky, throwing large shadows over the pathway and the generic background characters.

Slowly trotting along your way to school, you tried to ignore the people that all bore the same faces. They reminded you that this wasn't reality and that all of this wasn't real. You were just made up of codes and ciphers. Wanting to know how the world was outside of this program, you looked up at the horizon in the distance in hopes of perhaps catching a few glimpses of the real world.

Lost in your own little world, your mind wandered back to your best friend — the player. His name changed constantly, as well as his personality. The protagonist could choose how to interact with his environment. He could do good — as well as do bad. Sometimes, you wished you had the same freedom as well, but you could never.

You hadn't seen your best friend since the beginning of summer break, so you couldn't wait to talk with him. The school building was just in sight, the tall gates looming over your little figure. A stream of students passed by, making their way into the large building. Knowing that you were close to being late, you hurried to your locker.

Barely remembering the code to your locker, you sighed in relief once the familiar click entered your ears. Carefully placing your bag into the metal locker, you could feel the presence of another person beside you. Knowing it wasn't another generic background character, you shut the door and looked to your right.

"(Y/n), long time, no see." The tall boy next to you grinned as a smile of your own grew on your face. It was your best friend and this time, the player's name was Logan. He laughed as he put an arm around you, walking with you to your classroom. "How was your summer break? I kind of missed you."

"Same here, it was really boring without you, Logan!" you replied in a cheerful tone as his curious green eyes were fixated on your face instead of choosing one of the invisible answers floating in front of his orbs. Feeling a little uncomfortable, you averted your eyes to somewhere else.

Snapping out of his small trance once he noticed he wasn't staring into your shimmering (E/c) eyes anymore, Logan sighed softly when nostalgia crept through his veins. It had been so long since he had last seen you and even longer since he hadn't picked up this game. Had it been years? Approximately, a few.

What had caused him to clean the dusty cartridge and insert it into his console? He didn't know himself; yet, his heart knew all too well.

His orbs precariously gazed over to the mood metre at the right corner of his screen, which caused a little sigh to escape his lips once he realised your mood had dropped by quite a bit. The answers flickered harder in front of his face, desperately calling out for him to finally choose one.

And so, he did.

"You've changed a lot, (Y/n)," Logan exclaimed with a casual smile, causing your eyes to widen in surprise. Chuckling softly to yourself, your cheeks were coloured a soft red as a flattered giggle escaped your lips. His heart skipped at the sound of it; it sounded just as heavenly as he remembered it to be.

"I didn't think you'd notice I cut my hair—"

"It suits you." Logan couldn't control his excitement any longer, accidentally already choosing his answer before you could finish your sentence. You weren't bothered at all; in fact, your laughter only turned brighter.

"This is the first time you noticed I got a new haircut," you commented as you played with your shiny (H/c) locks. Somehow, the familiar situation reawakened memories of a past playthrough. A forced smile appeared on your lips. "Or perhaps... the second time?"

Before Logan could answer, you two arrived at your destination: your classroom. Holding the door open for you — like a true gentleman — he waited for you to enter before he did.

You shot him a thankful smile, causing his heart to skip a beat. The courtesy gained him one relationship point for you, which made him almost ecstatic, weirdly. With a proud smile, he stepped into the room, too and let the heavy wooden door fall into its hinges behind him.

Feeling nostalgia — in a good and bad way — rush over him, he sighed softly to himself.

This game will be a lot of fun.