Chapter 220

It's too late for me to be here, but I need to finish everything before Monday which has already started. I haven't seen Stephanie yet and I don't plan to until I've finished everything I need to finish, but halfway up the library stairs, I realize I don't have anything with me. 

I rush toward my dorm and slowly sneak in, it's four am and I don't want to wake Stephanie up. I'm glad to know that my roommate is actually in her dorm and not sneaking away with the boy I love. 

I grab my laptop off my desk, it's wrapped in a light grey protective soft layer and when my fingers touch it, I slip out of the room instantly, locking the door behind me. I'm still wearing Jace's shirt but as I sit down and look out of the library window, it feels good. 

So comforting. As if I'm at the airport about to leave everything behind with the snow outside falling and unfamiliar surroundings but something around me is keeping m in touch with both worlds. 

I take a breath and attempt to look down at my notebooks. No one is here, not a single soul except for me, not even the small Starbucks by the entry. 

I wasn't sure if my expensive library card would be worth it, but it has proven otherwise. I open up my laptop with hurt at the memory of Miles getting it for me. 

But still somehow, in a very weird way, it makes me smile, he didn't get a laptop like his, he got me a bigger one; a better one and not one that's as dark; a silver instead of the black he has. 

He knew me before I knew me. I have two hours until the class begins which is nerve-wracking, seeing Miles is the last thing I need. I stand up and try to look for the book I need to read in order to complete the assignments. I rummage through the library, the large shelves, so much taller than me filled with creativity and passion for love stories that I won't see outside of books.

"Hey!" I hear and I turn around, wide-eyed, and panicked.

"Stephanie." I let out a heavy breath, with my hand n my chest.

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't see you sneak out of our dorm and not help you out." She tells me and I smile at her kindly.

"Where are you sitting?" She asks and I walk with her toward the table I chose; the one I always choose is the one next to the window in the middle of the table rows.

"I'm sorry I woke you," I tell her and she shakes her head with her brows furrowed together.

"No, Madison, I want to be here for you, I want to make sure you're okay," Stephanie says, her brows raised.

"Are you . . . okay?" she asks and I nod.

"I'll be better," I tell her and she nods.

"So what are we studying?" Stephanie smiles and I gesture to my laptop, turning it around for her to see too.

"Oh, I did that assignment already, I can totally help you." She smiles and before I can protest, she grabs the computer slowly away from my hands and types away. I want to say something but I don't. Stephanie sees the look on my face and stops typing.

"Don't worry, Madison. You've been through so much . . . the last thing you need to worry about is me doing the assignment for you, besides, copying homework is a part of the college experience." She smiles kindly and I nod. She's right.

"I saw Miles yesterday." She says and her eyes glance at me before finally looking back at the laptop.

"How are you two?" She asks as she types and I attempt to memorize some flashcards written down on my notepad.

"We're not together anymore, and I don't know if we ever will be," I tell her, and she gives me a long sympathetic look.

"Not even after he . . . you know . . . showed up?" I shake my head. It wasn't a nice gesture, it was Miles being selfish and caring about no one or nothing but himself.