Chapter 296

Epilogue

The sand on our legs stays even after we've left the ocean and even as we're walking back to the place we're staying in. 

I still can't believe any of this, it feels so surreal, and somehow it doesn't feel like I've finally got here; like we've finally gotten here. 

From the girl who first saw this hurt, dark-clothed boy in her dorm room, to now being engaged, having two rings on my ring fingers on each side.

One for the promise he made me to never leave me and to always love me, and the other, to promise eternity and to become one.

As our hands hold each other intertwined I realize that he's thinking the exact same thing, and somehow I wish I were able to dive inside his head and re-live the same memories he has of that first night at the dorm but through his perspective.

I would give anything to see the way he felt about me, the way he cherished me without me knowing and the way he fell so deeply in love; so deeply that it even caught him off guard.

Miles finally is able to look at me the closer we get to the front door and when his fingers press down the handle, I spot Stephanie's face and then quickly, Elijah walks beside her, smiling at me with Becky in his hands.

Without knowing it, I feel something roll down my cheeks and only then I realize they're tears. I'm crying, I'm crying so hard. 

Miles planned this perfectly, and I don't care that I'll only have one bridesmaid and that he'll only have one best man, this is our wedding and it's our version and I wouldn't take back anything that happened because somehow, even in a twisted way, even the bad things led us to this.

My feet take me inside and I practically run to Stephanie, hugging her and embracing my best friend, my tears falling into her shorter blonde hair. She really does look like a mother now, and so do I. I can see Elijah out of the corner of my eye and he looks like a dad and so does miles. 

The way things seemed to change so quickly still has me swept up. even though the changes have seemed to be small, somehow now I feel like a completely different person, living a completely different life.

When Becky came into our lives, I felt changed and now, I'm almost unrecognizable. 

I feel the way I've grown and the way Miles has become the person I truly knew he was deep down.

"Thanks, Steph." Miles pats her on the shoulder.

"Don't ever call me that," she giggles a growl and furrows her brows at him and I laugh as I pull away from her sweet hug.

Miles's POV

As I grab a cold drink out of the fridge and watch Stephanie and my girl sitting on the floor isn't the small living room, books scattered everywhere, white patterns, and more than enough printed photos of wedding venues,.

Elijah steps beside me and we both stare at our girls.

"So . . . how did you get here?" he asks as I just stare at her; the love of my life. 

I shrug my shoulders and slowly shake my head but then stop, just allowing myself to completely stare at her and the baby bump on her stomach.

"I don't know, but I wouldn't change it for the world."

The end of The Perfect Storm series