Chapter 241

The weather is getting warmer and I find myself being completely comfortable with sliding down the window on Cody's car.

"I've never been downtown," I tell him but then quickly remember that might have been, I was always so lost in Miles whenever he took me anywhere that I never had any clue where the places were that he took me to.

The strap on my heels feels slightly painful as a part of it finds its way to my skin and refuses to stop hurting me.

"Well, then you're in for some fun." Cody looks at me, his eyes a deep green. 

A feeling rises in me, a feeling I've never noticed before, it has always been there whenever I see Cody and it's a feeling that always accompanies me whenever I'm beside him or whenever he shows me attention. It's something deep down in me telling me that he doesn't belong to me and I don't belong to him. 

I've never gotten the feeling with Miles but I've also . . . never gotten it with Jace.

"Can I ask you something?" Cody glances at me and I nod softly.

"What went so wrong with you two? You know . . . you and him; Miles." Cody finally breaks his words to Miles's name.

"I—"

"Fuck, sorry, I shouldn't have asked—" Cody says and I can't help but not correct him for a few minutes.

"It's okay," I say finally. I fiddle with my fingers and stare at the straps that are hurting my feet.

"I need . . . I want something he can't give me and never will be able to give me."

"I get it," Cody says and I smile at him, I'm glad I'm not as crazy as I feel like I am in my own head by wanting all of this from Miles.

"I know what you're going through is difficult, but I just wanted to thank you for letting me be the one to take your mind off it tonight." Cody looks at me and I feel the way he stops the car in front of a lit-up restaurant that seems more like a bar than anything else.

Instead of saying anything to Cody, I decided to just smile at his kind words. His smile is contagious and I find myself smiling a few more times before we finally exit the car.

The inside is crowded and the whole place is lit up red. I thought this was going to be much more intimate and quiet and I'm starting to feel slightly out of place as if someone put me in a place I don't belong.

"Here guys!" Stephanie squats and I can't help but giggle which causes Cody to glance at me, his jaw defined and his smile so bright as soon as his eyes hit mine. 

They're such a mixture of deep green and his smile always makes me smile back at him.

"Can we get a round of drinks for all of us?" Stephanie asks the waitress beside her as Elijah sits down next to her while she tries o take off her heavy coat.

Cody presses his hand on my lower back and I can't help but let my cheeks turn warm. I'm not used to anyone else touching my skin or the places that Miles's hands always travel to but I don't feel the way I thought it would. 

 It doesn't feel comfortable but it doesn't feel uncomfortable but maybe that's because everything somehow reminds me of him.

Cody leads me toward a round able in the very corner of the bar type of restaurant and while there are so many other tables, I feel much more comfortable sitting next to Stephanie and Elijah, and Cody. 

The same waitress comes up to us again and this time she's holding drinks in her hands but instead o handing something to Stephanie, me, Elijah, and Cody she has three extra drinks.

"Is anyone else coming?" I ask but as soon as the words leave my lips, Stephanie's eyes go wide as if she realized something, and Elijah freezes while Cody's clearly defined jaw tightens.

I glance at something beside me and notice that there's a window right in front of me and that Porsche that I recognize too well is there, and a few seconds later, Miles steps out, his body covered in the color black, his vans shoes being the only spot of the cover he has and the shades he's wearing must be new. 

 I notice the passenger sea open and my heart drops at the sight of that girl with him; Hayley. I feel frozen and when I blink again, I feel him beside Cody and me.

"Sorry we're late," Miles says, his eyes on Stephanie and Elijah, acting as if I'm not there.

"I told you that they broke up!" Stephanie whispers harshly while my eyes remain on Miles and the girl beside him who is studying me as much as I'm studying him.

"I forgot, I can't keep up," Elijah whispers back but it's crystal clear what both of them are saying.

"Why did you think Cody was coming?" Stephanie sighs and I couldn't feel more out of place or more embarrassed. 

This night could not have gotten worse and I can see it in Miles's eyes, he's enjoying this so much, he's enjoying the torment I'm going through.

I can't take my eyes off Miles's but his yes don't even bother to look at mine until that grin hows up on his face and he gives me a small glance, but even if it lasted less than a millisecond, I know that he was communicating to me and only me with that grin.

He sits right in front of Cody while Hayley is right in front of me. It feels like I'm on a date with the two of them and II couldn't feel more alone.

"Oh babe . . ." I hear Miles's voice and I instantly jump to his eyes but he's not looking at me or talking to me but to her. My heart breaks.

"Your hair." He says, his voice so sweet but it's not for me. His fingers reach up to her and fix her hair and the only thing I can do and let more hurt wash over me.

"Do you want to move over to the bar for a sec?" Cody asks me softly, his hand on my lap and his lips speaking softly into my ear. I shake my head and let him know that I'm going to the restroom for a second. He nods and sands up in order o let me move past him. 

I feel Miles's eye on me but I don' check if they really are and I'm not sure if they really are, maybe they're just on her again. 

I bite my lip and rush to the bathroom, closing the main door behind me and letting out a deep breath when I find that nobody is behind the three bathroom doors.