Chapter 248

My mind still feels cloudy but I don't want to let Miles's words get to me, even though he has every right to ask me to stay away from him, we aren't together, we might as well not know each other except for the past we've had together, I'm almost like Stephanie know, I don't matter to him. 

The thought string through me and I blink away tears, but I know I can't cry r else Stephanie will only confirm how crazy Miles is.

I open the door to our dorm only to see Stephanie barely wearing anything. I cover my eyes out of respect and quickly jump to cover Elijah's.

"Madison." He laughs and removes my hands from his eyes.

"I see her like that all the time, don' worry." He says and I blush.

"But you never wear something like that," I ask her, barely making eye contact.

"I have to be extra sexy for the both of us tonight . . . since you're no going." Stephanie smiles and I try my best to do so too. I can't help but feel slight jealousy that Miles will see her like this and he'll see all kinds of girls like this. I brush the thoughts away that will only consume me and kill me.

"I hope you two have fun." I manage even with the thoughts battling to come through to me.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Stephanie asks and I shake my head.

"I'm sure."

I CAN'T HELP BUT stare at my phone, watching the time pass and waiting for it to strike eight pm, wondering if I'll manage to somehow go to see Miles's dad and Sandra.

"You ready to go?" I hear Stephanie's voice, she's still wearing that dress and I can't help but wonder where she was this whole time.

"Did the party start this early?" I ask and she nods then shakes her head as we sit into the car.

"Not really . . . I mean it did but right now it's a pre-party at Miels's house." She explains and I offer her a small smile, it's all I can do right now, I don't know how to feel about being completely alone with Miles's family even though he couldn't be more distant from his entire bloodline.

"Will you be okay by yourself?" Stephanie asks and all of a sudden I can smile as we approach Miles's dad's home. It's as large as I remember and the pebble driveway reminds me of WSU in a familiar comfortable way.

"Of course," I say and right before I step out, I give her a hug. "thank you for always being here for me." she smiles at me and I can tell that she's almost tearing up.

"Of course, Madison, I'm here . . . for you," she says and then presses her lips together as if she's not sure of her own words. I want to know why something feels so off but instead, I decide to ignore it, tonight is too much already and I know I'll have to deal with Miles's dad and Sandra which will only take over my whole mind.

I see Stephanie drive away in her car and before I know it, there is only the driveway light lighting up the path I'm walking on. 

I take a few steps through the gravel driveway and I'm at the front door. I try to steady myself with a few deep breaths. 

I close my eyes and listen to nothing but the soft cold wind that blows all around me and then I hear him.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone?" I open my eyes to see Miles beside me, he tucks at the collar of his black button-down but doesn't face me. 

His knuckles are bloody and bruised and I can' let myself wonder how he got so hurt. I look at the door just as he is even though I crave nothing more than to stare into his eyes.

"I thought you were at your own party." I fire back, angry that he wants me to be as far away from him as he can get me and thankful that he didn't go to his own party.

He smirks and I know he's about to look at me, but when he does, his eyes are cold, distant somehow as if . . . as if I never knew him.

"Let's just say I hoped you'd fall for it and show up there, instead of here." He smirks as he looks at me, but I look straight a the door.

"Miles . . . Madison." David smiles at both of us, offering us a hug but Miles refuses while I engage. David's arms wrap around me and I can't help but watch Miles as he looks at me in such a familiar way; a way I both love and hate.

"Well, come on in, everything's ready." He says and I watch as he leads us both in. Miles and I both stop at the front door, not stepping foot inside.

"Ladies first." He smirks and I give him a small smile that seems to catch him off guard, "Thank you, Miles," I say softly and his features turn neutral.

We step inside and we're met by Sandra walking to us, she offers Miles a handshake but he walks away and I give her a small smile.

"Thank you for having us over," I tell her and she nods.

"It's a pleasure."

"Please." She points at the dining table. David and Sandra both sit down while Miles pulls out a chair, I'm not sure if it's for him or for me, but when he doesn't take his eyes off of mine, I know it's not for him at all.

I sit down and look up at him as he smiles down on me, it feels s good to forget everything we're going through and just soak up in the way he is, the way he's so perfect and so observing off me and only me.

"So, we have something important to ask you both." David starts as Miles finally sits down next to me, his eyes on Sandra.

"And to tell you . . ." Sandra looks happy but nervous at David.

"And we're hoping you will both react well." David looks at Miles after looking at his girlfriend.

"Well then." Miles leans into the table, staring at Sandra.

"Spill it," he adds.

"Well . . . we're engaged now, three weeks ago," David says, looking nervously at Miles.

"Congrats."

"I myself would personally never." He looks at me and for some reason, a whole ocean of emotions floods over me.

"And what else? You don't call us here to tell us you've replaced Pamela . . . you remember Pamela, right?" Miles smirks as if this whole situation is a joke to him. 

I stare at the beautifully decorated table in front of me, the thick white napkins are the only thing I want to see for a while. 

I can't bear the thought of looking up and seeing David and Sandra hurt at his words, I can't, and I can't show them how hurt I am.

"Well, this is a decision that took us a while to make but we realized that we know no one better than to . . ." David holds Sandra's hand and she looks at him nervously.

"Than to ask you both if you'd be the godparents to our baby girl."

"Thanks for the offer, but I want nothing to do with your baby girl." Miles barks the words and Sandra looks down at her small bump.

Miles stands up, dragging the chair loudly over the floor as he finally stands up.

"It was nice seeing you." He says, looking at me and only me and before I know it or can even process my emotions properly, he's gone, the door open and the engine outside riving.

"I'm so sorry," I tell both of them as they try to recover from everything that just happened.

"it's not your fault, Madison," David kindly says, his hand rubbing the stubble on his chin.

"Maybe shouldn't try to involve me so much into his life, oh I don't know." He begins but his fiance stops him, "Oh, no, don't say that sweetheart." She looks so young, I can't help but think about how they met.

I walk toward the front door only to see Miles's tail lights turning onto the main road. I close the door no matter how painful it feels and turns back to Sandra and David.