Chapter 255

As I lay here staring at the ceiling, I can't help but fling my fingers above me and so that my eyes stare at the ring on my finger instead.

Stephanie still isn't back and I'm wondering if she ever came home or if she just left with Elijah after the party.

I see Miles's name on my phone again but I don't have the strength to slide the green button.

I let out a deep sigh with pain flooding through my body.

I never imagined it needing to be this difficult and I can't let it be, this isn't something new, this is old; it's something from our past, and for the first time I know I can't stay mad at him.

I know that whatever he did before cant fuel my pin anymore and I know that it shouldn't matter but it does.

I haven't taken my ring off since miles put it on my finger and I don't ever want to no matter what we're going through.

Miles is not who he used to be and letting his past constantly determine our future is never going to give us the happy ending we've always wanted and even though it won't be exactly how I've dreamed of it my whole life, it'll be with him and that's all I want even though the young me who lived in Ohio and dreamed of Jace being her once would have never understood. But she had also never met miles.

I told myself, I would try my hardest and I know that's what he told himself. And both of us deserve that, no matter what we've done wrong in the past.

Without realizing what I'm doing, my feet force þe to stand up, and I'm in front of the dorm window again.

I've been looking at it on and off for the past three hours but it's the only thing I want to do until right now.

I take in the sliver of the football field that I can see from here and the large gravel parking lot where I used to watch Miles car parked there for hours and then all of a sudden it would disappear in the middle of the night or before parties.

Back then I never knew id to be his, I could have never imagined it, I could have never—

"What am I doing?" I whisper to myself. I know the answer to everything, I've always known and no matter what dark cloud follows us all of our life I always know the answer; I love him and he loves me. And that's all I need it's all I've ever needed.

I grab my bag and pack all of my belonging in it, I grab my rosewater and ivy bath and body works candle that I bought with Chrissy and place it carefully in my bag, I haven't used it that often but it's still my favorite thing that I own.

After gathering most of the things I own, I look at my desk, It's something I'll miss but something I know I won't need anymore, ill have more than enough space to study in Miles's house.

This isn't how I envisioned packing yo love in with him but no matter what happens I'm glad that it's with him.

I place Jacobs vase on my fully made bed snd then Jace's resin flower, and then finally I take the necklace Jace gave me off my neck as it's intertwined with Miles pearl and place it on the bed, leaving only the pearl on my neck.

I never thought I'd abandon the necklace Jace gave me, but it doesn't belong to me anymore.

I watch the three things I once cared about the most and now the fourth snd final one is on my neck; something that will stay with me forever.

"Madison?" I hear Stephanie's voice ring in through the door as I watch Jace's necklace lying on my made bed.

"Stephanie," I speak, my voice smiling at her.

"Oh god, I missed you." She hugs me tight and I let my arms wrap around her, she's the best friend I've ever had.

"I need to tell you something," I speak and she nods before her eyes dart to my finger and she closes her wide mouth with her hands.

"Did miles . . . Oh my god—" she stops in shock and I shake my head.

"It's a promise ring for us to, um, for him to love me forever," I admit and her hands drop.

"Oh wow," she speaks and then adds, "He really is in love. . . I have to admit, I never thought id see him with anyone . . . and definitely not like this," She says and my heart warms up my body.

"But that's not what I wanted to tell you," I say and her eyes now shift to my bed in confusion and slight horror at the necklace I loved so much.

"I'm moving in . . . With him, I hope that's okay, I just thought—"

"Oh thank god," she released in a sigh and her arms grabbed around me to hug me.

"I thought I was such a bad friend, oh god," she sighs again and then finishes,

(Play lost by maroon 5 start at 0:40)

"I'm moving in with Elijah." Her words run through the room mixing with mine, we both stay quiet, and then small smiles spread on our lips.

"Congratulations," we say in unison before I reach to hug my best friend, my arms around her.

"I'll visit too often, I promise," Stephanie says and I nod while we both let giggles escape.

"Are you leaving those behind?" She asks and I nod.

"I think you should," she speaks and I smile; I know it's right.