Chapter 239

"Did Betty leave?" I manage when I spot Miles in the kitchen, I don' know how he got there or why I was so close to the front door but I don't force myself to find an explanation.

"Yeah." Miles breathes and then quickly shoves a spoonful of whatever was in the glass bowl Betty handed me earlier, into his mouth.

"This shit is fucking good." He says and I manage a giggle. I know my heart will always ache for the last letter, the one I can never read but something changed after meeting Bill, something changed that needed to change for a while and I feel much more at peace with everything, I know my mother is gone and so is my father and I'm going to be okay no matter what happens I'll be okay because I have people who care about me. I have Stephanie, I have Miles, I have Bill, and maybe I even have Jace.

I feel my phone vibrate and Miles picks it up off the table, his smile turning into a clenched jaw. He throws the phone at me and I barely manage to catch it, my fingers gripping the phone.

"Group date." He tells me and then proceeds to walk past me as if I'm not even there. 

I feel as though we just met and he's playing with my emotions and with me but this time I know exactly why and that it's my choice. 

I silently say my goodbyes to my mother's house, I don't know when I'll visit again, but next time, it won't have to be this painful.

I take one last glance at the key in my hands that Miles gave me before I place it back into my pocket, I can't make a decision yet. I look around the house before finally managing to slip into my shoes and leave.

"We better hurry if you want to make it in time for your date," Miles says drily, his eyes sharp as a wasps stinger.

THE CAR RIDE HAS BEEN MORE than silent but when Miles finally parks harshly at the WSU parking lot, he finally parks his lips after the few hours it has taken to drive back to Washington.

"I'll support you tonight." He says with that 'Miles' smile he always does but something about I seems too good to be rue, but instead of questioning him, I nod and smile back.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Miles," I say and his smirk extends at the words. I'm glad that Miles doesn't need to see me with Cody but I know t's still difficult for him to know about my plans tonight.

The gravel crackles under my feet and under the tires of Miles's dark Porsche as he reverses out of the parking lot. I can't help but wonder where he's going but my mind can't stay with him forever and especially not if I'm going to make tonight work.

My thoughts suddenly stop when I realize I'm outside my dorm. I knock lightly, not sure why but as soon as I do, Stephanie runs out of the dorm to give m a hug and without knowing why, I start to cry.

"Madison." Stephanie cries back.

"Are you okay?" She asks and I start to cry even harder and so does she.

"We are two hot messes," She manages in between cries and we both throw out a small giggle before continuing to cry into each other's shoulders.

"Are you okay?" She asks again and I manage to nod, she pulls me away to look at my eyes.

"I can't believe the things that happen to you, but then again dating someone like Miles makes it more than difficult to avoid all of this." She says desperately and I decide not tto correct her on me and Miles dating. 

 I don't know if Miles said something to her or if she figured that after something like this, we'd be back together but we're not.

"I know." Is all I say.

"I'm hoping tonight will help." I smile and Stephanie nods. I'm glad Miles explained to her that I was okay and what happened because I don't know if I would have been able to.

"By the way, we're going to a club." Stephanie winks and I giggle. 

At first, this was supposed to be so simple, just me and Cody but for some reason, Miles told Stephanie and now she and Elijah are coming with which I don't mind. I haven't seen Elijah in a while and his flirtiness toward Stephanie is refreshing.

"We only have half an hour to get ready, so you better make that time count," Stephanie says as she's halfway out of the dorm.

"Oh, and . . ." She says sharply and then continues. "Your friend Jace is here." She says but before I can even part my lips, she's out the door. I sprint to open the door in hopes of seeing her but she's long gone down the hallway. I take a deep breath and grab my toiletry bag. 

I need to take a shower and I need to get ready for tonight.