Chapter 263

As my feet take me countless of minutes toward Stephanie's house, I can only try to think about how everything ended like this, and what 'this' is exactly, everything seemed so perfect, soo okay, and so unbreakable and now, before my eyes, even with my eyes closed, everything seemed to share in seconds, without me even being there.

After what has felt like two hours of walking, I finally approach the address Stephanie sent me a few days ago, and now without a trace, both she and Miles have disappeared but I find myself only wanting to be with my best friend, someone who can always understand me no matter what I go through.

When I finally reach the front door, my fingers hit the wood but when the door flings open, I know that I'm probably not going to be able to have my best friend by my side.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that Stephanie--" I assume, but Elijah's still smiles his silly smile at me, "No, uh, it's totally okay she left this morning to go visit her mom for her little brother's birthday, but you're welcome to stay here, I'm no woman, but I can still keep you company," Elijah's lips are quick o spill and when I part my lips, he explains even further, "I have hot cocoa, it wasn't meant to be for two, but, uh, I'll share anyway." he smiles and I can't help but giggle.

Maybe Elijah is right, he can keep me just as much company and even though he doesn't need to know about Miles, I still need someone and I prefer Elijah much more than being by myself. 

"Thank you." I smile and he nods, letting me inside. The kitchen is smaller than I'm used to but it's homey and it feels to be the perfect fit for the two of them, it reminds me of the things Miles and I still haven't gotten the chance to do, we still haven't gone furniture shopping or changed much in the apartment at all.

"How has moving in been?" I ask, trying to distract me from my thoughts that I know will lead to somewhere I don't want to go.

"It's been uh," Elijah laughs as then in the mids of pouring his one person cocoa into two cups, he pours some on himself and burns the top of his hand and I can't help but giggle as he laughs along with me.

"Shit," he says in a laugh, and then runs slowly toward the sink only for the water to turn hot before he quickly switches it to ice cold with another "Shit." comment.

"I've honestly been pretty much a useless clown," Elijah comments, and I burst into laughter again, "Yeah, Stephanie laughs at me too, so I'm kind of used to it," he remarks in a chuckle and I can't stop myself from laughing and then without both of our understanding as to how I feel my ankle collapse on me and I fling onto the floor but he manages to catch me before I hit anything or hurt myself.

"Are you okay?" he asks softly and kindly. 

"I'm not sure," I reply honestly, "Maybe laying down will help," I let him know and he nods, helping me to a small couch.

"I . . . I feel so dizzy, all of a sudden . . . I don't know--" I say my words barely audible to me.

"Are you okay?" He asks and I shake my head, I feel lightheaded, dizzy, and as if I want to collapse on the floor; as if my body can't handle anything, I feel too hot and I feel and hear every sound ten times over.

"Should I take you to the hospital?" he asks frantically, his longer-than-before hair hovering over my face as I lay there on the couch. I nod slowly and I feel his arms raising me from the couch and into his arms where he cradles me when I don't answer, I can't answer, the room is spinning and I don't know where I am anymore or where I want to go.

His grip is soft as if he has barely done this before and his smell is homey as if I'm visiting Jace's family for dinner. 

"You're Stephanie's Jace," I blurt out before everything goes completely black.

THE PITCH BLACK SLOWLY fades into pure white and I realize I'm not where I was last, I'm in a room I don't recognize, a room with a door, with a number, and with only my bed in it. The window beside me is large and I can see faint trees outside in the April weather through the curtains that block most of it out.

A blanket is covered over me and I feel as though it's somehow protecting me.

I can't manage to take much more in from the door before the soft-colored door is opened, and a man dressed in white with some kind of board in his hand and a stethoscope around his neck walk inside.

"Madison Pierce," he says as if asking me and stating a fact at the same time.

I nod slowly, not sure if I can speak or not but when Stephanie and Elijah barge in through the door, I can't help but speak with a smile, "Stephanie?" I watch Elijah's bandaged hand as he stares at me with soft eyes and a smile that asks me if I'm okay and I answer by pressing my lips together in another smile just to him.

"I came as soon as I heard, are you okay, madison?" Stephanie's soft brown eyes wander over my face.

"I'm feeling better," I tell her even though I'm still slightly dizzy.

The doctor looks at me and then at the board he has in his hands, looking back to me and the board as if Elijah and Stephanie either don't bother him or don't exist in the room while his serious eyes are on mine.

He raises a brow as he turns some pages into the air and writes something down, "You're blood results came back positive, and you seem to be perfectly healthy," he says and I breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Oh thank god," Stephanie speaks, her hand on her chest while Elijah offers us nothing but a soft smile.

"But there are some surprising results, and I take it that you were not aware of this, but Madison, you're pregnant," the doctor speaks to my now, wide in shock eyes.