Chapter 262

Miles's POV

I brush my fingers through my wet hair, realizing that I didn't dry it well enough but instead of heading back upstairs, I continue walking down the stairs, only to notice Madison and Stephanie both sleeping on the couch with our new pink mugs in their hands. I shake my head and feel a smile spreading across my lips, how does this happen?

I knew there was something wrong with those mugs.

I press my hand on Stephanie's shoulder, trying to wake her up and I instantly feel disgusted somehow, somehow t brings me back to being with someone else; someone other than Madison, and I feel electrocuted.

"Miles?" She asks softly, and I'm still trying to somehow stay in the present instead of letting my mind take me to places I don't want to ever visit again; to where I don't belong and never will again belong.

"Uh, yeah, um, time to go," I say, trying to gather my thoughts to form a sentence that makes sense; what the fuck is happening to me?

I feel the way my thoughts won't let me go, and I know this will be something I'll regret forever; to have been where I was while I didn't belong with any of those girls when I belonged to Madison and yet, I didn't seem to care, no even when II was with Chrissy and knew that Madison existed, I still fucked someone else before I ever even touched her, knowing she had some kind of hold on me.

"You're kicking me out?" Stephanie laughs, but I want nothing more than to be alone with my thoughts right now than to destroy everything in me that feels this way; that can't let go of the past. Because nothing I'll ever do will make up for any of this.

"Yeah, and uh, make sure you hurry," I tell her and her eyes are at me with confusion, at the tone I throw even after she was clearly kidding, but I wasn't; I never was.

"You're really only nice to her aren't you?" Stephanie shakes her head in annoyance, "We used to be friends you know," She says harshly even though it's a whisper as she's trying not to wake up the girl I've hurt more than I can bear.

"Get the hell out," I tell her in a bark.

"Fine, you know what, I don't care, I never should have cared. Go ahead, ruin your chances with me, but with her, once she realizes you don't deserve her, it'll be over with her forever too," Stephanie practically yells but I don't flinch and instead, I stare her down as if she's prey and I'm predator, ready to hunt whenever she moves a muscle, but even though her eyes can't handle my stare, when she's gone, I feel nothing but relief and then . . . anger.

Madison's POV

My eyes slowly open and even though I still feel tired, I can't help but realize that I'm not in our bed, I'm on the couch where Stephanie and I were and at first, I almost laugh at the idea that we both fell asleep, but when I notice that Stephanie is gone and everything feels empty and eerily quiet, I know something is wrong.

I quickly stand up, but with a headrush like never before, I almost fall completely on the floor but I manage to steady myself on the couch. My mind brings me back to when I almost twisted my ankle when getting out of Miles's old Porche when we visited his mother's house and where he showed me the garage full of cars.

I quickly shake off the feeling, knowing that the doctor said that my stress levels were down and fine again. But yet somehow I can only hope I haven't developed leg problems as my mother did at this age after my dad left.

I walk up the stairs slowly only to hear the quietness following me.

As soon as I reach the top of the stairs, I'm greeted with something I'm not used to; quietness. I know something is wrong but yet I hear no smashing off things, I hear nothing breaking, no one yelling, no one even talking and I don't smell liquor.

I see the pool door open but when my feet carry me there, I realize the space is empty as if I've been left completely alone; alone in the whole world.

I run to the bathroom, then the bedroom, and lastly, the gym Miles showed me but everything is completely empty, nothing has moved and I feel as though the world has sopped around me.

I walk inside the gym, watching the equipment Miles owns, and when I reach the windows, I see him; I see him there, staring up at me with half of his body already in the car, but I can still feel his eyes as strongly as ever, I can feel them so strongly, so harshly on mine as if they can haunt me across even the entire world even by jus being in my mind.

I watch him as both of our faces stay expressionless while our eyes blend together, it's as if only our eyes know why they're staring so deeply at each other, but the rest of us have no idea about what the electricity between them means because it feels small now, soft yet hard, soft yet electrical as if there's only a small thin electrical current flooding through instead of the wave I usually have over me.

And in one swift motion, he's inside the car as if he never even cared about anything, as if seeing me didn't mean anything to him, and now, all I can see are the tail lights of the new Porsche that was supposed to represent our new life together but is now somehow, like us, forever haunted by the past.