Chapter 237

I hear a soft knock on the door and I wipe the tears desperately from my eyes. I find myself hoping Jace is walking in, but it's Miles.

"He's just a—" Miles stops himself, collects himself, and then finally continues again.

"He's just hurt," Miles says to my surprise, I didn't think he'd even see Jace that way, or acknowledge it, let alone say it out loud like this. He steps closer so subtly and gives me a small smile.

"I got your necklace back." He pulls his fingers up, letting the necklace I love so much, hang on his fingers. I can't help but just stare at it, take in all the moments it has given me, all the memories, all the love I have for it.

"Thank you." I cry, the painful and hot tears landing down my cheeks. It's not just the necklace, it's everything, it's Jace, it's Miles, it's the hurt I've received from both of them.

I can't believe how changed Jace is, the same boy who gave me the necklace when I left, who waited for me to visit, who came and picked me up, who took me to the beach and the one who told me he loved me. Jace might never see it but even though I don't love him back the way he loves me, that moment, hearing the words, meant the world to me, not in the way he wanted them to, but they did. 

Jace is my family and I love him endless,y but I know I can't be with someone who I only see as family. I know it's only right to marry him, that's the only right choice, but I can't, I'd never be able to.

"What's wrong?" Miles stoops down to my level, handing me the necklace as his eyes take me in, examining me thoroughly. His eyes are so steady as if he's a predator looking at his prey, but there's so much more to these eyes.

"I . . . I'll need some time to get used to the things I wanted in life to not happen anymore," I tell him softly and he nods. I'll never get to have my mother walk me down the aisle, I'll never even marry, I'll never have the Jace I once had, my life has changed so drastically, and only in moments like these have I really been able to take in all the hurt. Know Miles doesn't know exactly what's going on in my head but I'm thankful he has been the only one here by my side.

"I'll make a decision by the end of March," I promise him something I don't know if I can do.

"You do that." He says, his words soft as a smile starts to appear on his lips and I can't help but do the same.

"Is Jace . . . is he still here?" I ask but Miles shakes his head.

"He left a while ago." The words sting my very soul but I can't help but nod as a reflex, trying to seem as if it's oaky but Miles sees right through me.

"I know I hate him, but I also know you need him and even if that hurts to say, he's a part of your life, MAdison, you're allowed to be upset . . . hate him even," Miles says with a sly smile and I can't help but giggle. He stands up and extends his hand to me. At first, I'm hesitant but I can't lie to myself and pretend that I don't want to feel the electricity his touch gives me. I nod and place my hand in his so he can lift me back up to my feet.

MILES STARTS THE SHOWER and I can't help but let my mind wander into the activities I can complete to distract my mind from thinking. I take a deep breath and walk into the kitchen. I haven't yet put Jace's necklace on and I don't know why. 

A part of me feels as though it doesn't mean anything anymore, as if the feelings he put into it when handing it to me have completely vanished, and a part of me feels as though maybe seeing Rosie with it made me realize just how changed everything is, and just how different Jace and I have become. The thought sends cold sharp shivers down my heart and I don't want to realize what's true, that Jace and I will never be the same, we're completely different people and we can't go back, ever.

I take another deep breath and try to steady myself. I decide on baking something soft and comforting like bread, but instead, I go with something I've never tried before, something that in my mother's recipes was always overlooked. 

I grab the recipe and as I take it from the shelf, something else comes along with it. My fingers feel the glossy paper, the material is thick and easy to scratch.

My fingers tremble as I look at what's in my hands, my parents' wedding photo. I feel the tears coming but for some reason, they're still staying in my eyes and not letting themselves fall down my cheeks like they always do. 

My parent's wedding photo, I wasn't even born and they were so in love before me, we were such a happy family, but it seems as though everything has an end. 

Maybe by being with Miles, all I'm agreeing to are happy moments that won't last through I all, that'll only last until they last and after that, it's over. 

I stare at the way my parents are holding hands, the way my mothers' white dress shines so bright even in the black and white photo, and at the way, my dad is looking at her. The way his eyes are telling her it's only her and the way she's holding him and her stomach, letting the world know that they couldn't be more in love.