Chapter 268

This chapter was written this year, Dec 30-31, 2021, and is the last chapter I wrote in 2021, although it will be posted in 2022. Though it would be cool to note :)

Happy Reading!!

"So tell us, Madison, what's new in your life?" Ben asks as I stab a fork through one of the potatoes on my plate. Nancy gives me a knowing smile, and I'm thankful that only she and Jace know of the secret that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to reveal to Miles even though I'm fully aware that I will have to sooner to later. But I don't allow my mind to drift too far into the thought of his reaction because I know I'll be sick again.

"I've, um . . . been moving in," I say and Jace's eyes jump to look at me. I didn't know we'd be having dinner or that he would join us and choose a seat right in front of me, but he did and somehow I haven't been able to leave the gaze he's giving me.

"Oh, you have?" Ben even sounds surprised and I start to feel bad but after Nancy looks at him, his eyes soften into less of a shock. 

"Yeah with my boyfriend," I say, somehow the words taste odd, especially coming into this room; Jace's family room.

"Well that's great news," Nancy speaks and I offer her a kind smile as Ben agrees while Jace's eyes are still on mine.

I finally manage to eat the potato I had on my fork for a while now before finishing everything off my plate, this is much more uncomfortable than it ever has been, being with Jace's family always felt like home; so right, but now it doesn't feel that way anymore. it feels foreign and alien as if I never really belonged here.

"What sound is that, darling?" Ben asks Nancy sweetly and she listens for a while and shrugs softly before quickly rising to her feet and looking through the window.

"It's a very expensive car," she says and I gulp. I know exactly who it is.

My stomach starts to feel in knots, and the only thing I can think about is hoping I won't get sick again.

"I'll, um . . . excuse me," I say softly, rising from the table and without a glance at anyone, I'm opening the front door and closing it behind me, I want to get this over with as quickly as I can and as quietly. I never knew he'd remember Jace's home but knowing I don't want to go back to my mother's house, leaves Miles with few options as to where I could be and since Ohio has always been my escape, I know this is where he'll always go.

The last thing I want him to do is to interrupt everyone inside and to knock and cuss at everyone, especially Jace but when his car pulls up to Jace's house and the engine stops, with dust and dirt covering the car, I have a feeling that was never Miles's plan.

Instead of looking angry and annoyed, trying to bring me back home, he steps out of the car calmly, his eyes barely on mine.

He's tired as if he's been driving for hours which I know he has, hours upon hours and hours and hours, but I don't want him to. the only time I don't want him to come here, even deep down; the only time I need to stay hidden with my thoughts and with my new responsibility, he's here.

"Madison," his voice is strong but yet hurt and tired, and I somehow can't believe he's right in front of me. After I found out I was pregnant I thought I wouldn't be able to face him but now he's standing right in front of me as if it's the easiest thing in the world but it's not and there's one big thing separating us from one another; something I'm dreading to ever tell him.

"I'm sorry about everything--I--" He begins but is interrupted by Jace opening the door and stepping outside, the air suddenly feels cold and I don't want to stay out here much longer.

I can only hope Jace won't say anything but I know that eventually, I will somehow rip the bandaid off whether by accident or intention.