Chapter 288

As I step into the running water underneath the showerhead, I feel good. I'm reminded of our new interior which somehow tells me subconsciously that Miles's party house doesn't exist in our lives anymore. 

What we have now is something I was only ever able to dream of having with Miles and now that we're on a track that seems too good to be true, I won't let anything change, for the first time in my life everything feels in absolute bliss and I know that both of us are trying to let it remain this way and this time, it just might.

I let my mind take me to last night when Miles had to have me and I had to have him and I let myself remember how good that felt and how good we've been doing.

I quickly dry myself and jump into fresh clothes, Miles has already taken a shower and I don't want to make Stephanie and Elijah wait. Since we were able to take care of everything so quickly, I suggested that Stephanie finally come over and Miles didn't mind if she'd bring Elijah too which surprised the both of us but neither of us said a thing, and instead, we went through with it. 

And I don't mind it tasting weird on our tongues as we try to move into something different; a life together that isn't messy, chaotic, heartbroken, and back and forth love. I want this to last forever and I know that as long as Miles wants it too, we have a chance that's bigger than any chance we've ever had.

Everything finally feels normal and it has finally stopped feeling as though we have to fight for everything we want no matter how simple everything we're fighting for has been, the darkness of the clouds and the storm still tumbled down on us for the smallest amounts of love we've had for each other, and now finally, the rain has come, washing it all away and letting us just be.

AS WE BOTH WALK TOWARD THE clean kitchen that we've spent at least an hour taking care of, we finally hear a knock on the door, and with an unknowing deep breath that we both suck in, we approach the door to a smiling Stephanie and Elijah.

Stephanie leans in for a hug almost instantly and I want to cry as soon as I smell her hair beside me and feel the warmth of her hug, I've missed her so much, and with Jace's wedding and everything in between with David, I didn't realize just how much I needed my best friend.

"We got you this," she manages as both of our girly tears, I glance over at Miles who takes Elijah's hand and flashes me a small knowing smile. Everything feels so normal as if we can finally function the way we've wanted to function for so long.

I take whatever is in Stephanie's hand and notice that it's twelve small frames in one large one.

"It's for your pregnancy photos . . . you've started taking them every month, right?" She asks, eyes wide as if, if I shake my head, she'll take out her camera right now before we hit the one-month and one-week mark in a couple of days.

"I've been taking photos," Miles says with a smirk on his face, and Stephanie nods."

I thank Stephanie and place the frames on the coffee table, not being able to wait to see all of the twelve photos that will fit in there, with the last middle one being Miles and I and the baby.

The kitchen is practically sparkling clean and with all of the ingredients we will need lined up, Stephanie and I take the island, cutting vegetables and potatoes while Miles and Elijah prepare the meat.

"How did he take the news? how did everything go?" Stephanie asks her eyes on mine as we both hold pitch-black knives and black cutting boards that contrast beautifully with the red bell pepper we're both cutting.

I grab a pink plastic bowl that we can mix everything in and after adding oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper I finally sit down again.

"I didn't expect him to react the way he did, but . . . he was happy," I tell her and a smile covers her face.

"I always knew you were the key to his black heart," she says and this time I smile, knowing just how much Miles loves me.

"I know that everything was worth it . . . he saved me that night, he really did, I--no matter how mad we are at each other, no matter what we're going through, he saves me. He always has, with Hayden, with everything and with David . . . who--" Stephanie stops me with placing her hand on my thigh and I know that I won't have to say the words to her; she knows what happened, she knows me and that I can't say it. I don't ever want to say it because David doesn't get to decide that that has now happened to me.

"Miles was there when even my mind couldn't be present, and neither could my body. I felt like I couldn't move and I barely made it into the bathroom and Miles was there," 

"I heard," Stephanie looks down as I try to focus on the small tomatoes in front of me that I'm carefully slicing in half mixing them into the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper bowl.

"The ambulance was called to pick him up . . ." She looks into my eyes before finishing, "I can't imagine anyone doing that for someone . . . they're own dad--I just want you to know that I've never seen a love like you two have and I couldn't be happier for you two, this baby for the two of you . . . it's perfect, Madison," she says and I smile brightly at her words.

"Oh, Stephanie," I reach into a hug. She really is my best friend. My eyes feel teary but I know that the words that Stephanie said have reached my soul and I'm grateful that she sees what I've known for so long.

"The meat is marinated," Elijah says as both of them finally turn around, Miles's strong arms placed on each side of the kitchen table by the stove as his dark eyes just watch me with a small playful smile.

"Are you girls done with the potatoes?" he asks, just looking at me. He always makes me feel this way, so vulnerable and intoxicated by him.

"Mhm," I tell him, staring down at the cutting board, his eyes are too intense and I feel as though I'll fall into them and not ever come back; how I've always felt about them.

"Here you guys go," Stpehanie hands them the plate full of raw potatoes that they quickly place beside the meat and stick into the oven.

AFTER STEPHANIE AND I finally, mix all of the salad together in the pink bowl before placing the mixture into a large glass salad bowl that we place in our new and re-decorated dining room that sits beside the living room and after walking past the living room, Stephanie and Elijah taking everything in, we place the food on the dining table.

Miles pours everyone a glass of wine as we sit down and I thank him with a smile. 

Candles stand lit on the table and the long chandelier-like light hangs above the table, lighting our plates and food in a homey manner. everything feels so peaceful and as I sit next to Miles, his hand on my thigh under the table, I couldn't feel better. Staying like this even if forever I'd feel at peace. Miles's hand reaches to his wine glass as he takes a sip, nodding at Elijah as he takes one too.

"How is the pregnancy so far?" Stephanie asks both of us, stabbing a potato with her fork and sticking it into her mouth before looking at Elijah.

"It's good, I've been sick recently but the doctor said it should be okay," I explain kindly as forks and knives click.

"What about you two? no babies yet?" Miles speaks, his eyes smiling.

"Actually," Stephanie looks at Elijah and I notice the glass of wine beside Stephanie's plate that hasn't been touched.

"We're pregnant," Stephanie says.