Chapter 274

(Play Devil I know by Allie)

Miles's POV

Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant.

She's fucking pregnant.

My mind immediately runs to when it could have happened--when we were so reckless and all I can think of is when I couldn't get enough, I had to have her even though David called us about Sandra, and without a thought, I couldn't stop myself from being with her and I must have--

God damnit.

I must have put it on wrong or something. I run my fingers harshly through my hair. Fuck.

Maybe we didn't even use a damned condom, who fucking knows.

"fuck" I bang my fist into the island, only to leave my hand colored with light purple and light red, and I was going to say the one thing she doesn't deserve right now; that the thing I care about least is having a child with her.

Fuck.

Madison's POV

The tall thin trees lead me to an area I never knew of before; a place I can't seem to escape even though I've been walking for almost thirty minutes, but on foot, a ten-minute drive on the highway is much, much further.

I thought I'd have enough time to somehow think about what just happened or process any of this, but Miles's face just haunts me endlessly.

Was he going to say what I thought before I broke us both into silence? Why did he react so shocked?

Everything feels so impossible but my feet keep going until I've reached David and Sandra's house, I knock as if I'm in a hurry but something tells me Miles isn't on his way. Why would he be?

"Madison? Are you okay?" David looks worried, his eyes searching my face, and then his eyes move down for a split second.

"Yeah, I'm okay, I was um . . . just hoping I could stay here for a night or two?" my lips tremble and I try not to burst into tears in front of him.

"Yes, of course," David looks at me, his voice frantic to help me in any way possible.

He opens the door further and with a smile, shows me I'm welcome inside, and before I know it the door closes and I feel safe; safer without those shocked eyes Miles displayed after hearing that we were having our first and possibly only baby, is that so bad?

"Are you sure you're okay?" David asks, his eyes studying me again.

"Yeah," I manage a breath, "I'm fine," I muster up a smile and he nods before heading into the kitchen.

"Want a glass of water?" he offers and I give him a small 'yes'

"Is Sandra not home?" I ask softly but David shakes his head.

"No, she took Becky and herself," David laughs before continuing, "To Becky's grandmother on Sandra's side. I've been under a lot of pressure as a new dad, so I figured I'd stay home and cool off--"

"Oh, I hope I'm not intruding." David shakes his head and offers me another smile, "No, honestly Madison, it's always good to have you by our place," he offers another smile before letting me know I can sleep in one of the rooms upstairs and it'll only take him a few minutes to find me extra sheets and a pillow. I give him a small nod before he's heading up the stairs, I'm not sure what time it is but I'm too tired to do anything else.