42.5

• • •
Madison

I lost track of time while I was on the roof.

The light breeze blew my hair out of my face as I leaned against the ledge, my arms holding me up. It was a little chilly out, but it didn't keep me from staying up here a little longer.

I saw a strike of lightening in the distance followed by the sound of thunder, and it filled me with a small amount of serotonin.

My pulse jumped at the sound of a door closing in the distance, but I didn't turn around to see who it was. Nobody knew I was up here besides Brandon.

The thought of losing the woman who took me to my first skating class terrified me. She taught me everything I know about skating, and everything I do is for her. This would be the second time her cancer could possibly return, and a feeling in my gut told me that she wasn't okay. I wanted to be with her every second of everyday so I don't waste another minute being away from her.

I felt a warm presence to my right, but I kept my eyes in front of me. The smell of Tom Ford cologne was enough for me to know it was Harry.

"I already know the answer but...are you okay?"

I lowered my head and blinked away my tears. "No."

He sighs and mirrors my position, staring out at the city of Toronto alongside me.

"I lost my grandpa to lung cancer when I was fifteen." He started, and I guessed that Brandon told everyone what happened because I didn't say who I was on the phone with. "The man practically helped my mum raise me after my dad left us, so it was hard when he died."

I sniffled, trying to be strong for not only my Nonna, but myself. She's alive right now, but it still hurt to think that one day she won't be here.

"I've never met your grandma, but I know she's strong, and she will get through this. You know how I know that?" He asked, and I finally turned my head to him while he looked at me. "Because she has a strong, beautiful, and amazing granddaughter like you."

I wanted to smile, but I was still hurting and I just didn't have the energy to.

"Everything I am today is because of her." I whispered, my eyes remaining on the tower in the distance. "She was there for me when my own mother wasn't, and the only reason I am strong is because she taught me how to be."

"I remember when I was two years old, she took me ice skating for the first time. She was there for every class and competition I had up until she moved back to Italy." I continued, really reminding myself of all the amazing memories I got to share with her. "I wouldn't be where I am today without her, so the idea of her being gone one day just..."

"Sucks?" He finished, and I nodded.

"Yeah."

"I know." He sighs. Without thinking, I rest my head on his shoulder and he responded by wrapping his arm around me, rubbing my arm. "But she's still here, and that's all that matters."

"Brandon's right." I said to myself. "She's a tough son of a bitch."

Harry's chest vibrated from a chuckle, and I finally found the energy to smile. "Just like you."