16

**Song: Hurt People by Jack and Jack

• • •
Madison

Reason number...I don't even fucking know - to hate Canada: you never know when it will stop snowing once spring starts. Once again, it was snowing to the point where most of the roads were closed so I was stuck inside again.

I still felt really bad for what happened last night, but Harry wouldn't even talk to me, no matter how many times I tried to text him, so I simply gave up. Nick told me I don't have to explain myself to Harry, and he was right. I don't have to reassure Harry that I'm not dating anyone, even though deep down I wanted to.

Now today, instead of everyone being over at my place, I was at Riley's. She decided to go through a bunch of stuff in her room again, and I obviously had nothing better to do than to watch her.

"I still can't believe I never noticed it before, Maddie. He would always point out hot guys whenever we were out somewhere together." Riley says near disbelief. "I'm very happy for him, but man, I'm blind."

"You're not blind. I didn't really see it coming, and I'm already halfway there." I joked. "How do you feel though?"

"Oddly enough, I feel relieved now that I know what was going on, and I'm glad we are still close after the breakup."

"That's good. I just want to see the both of you happy." I smiled, and she returned it.

"I did invite Zayn over, I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all." I say, eyeing her weirdly with a smirk. "You two have been hanging out a lot recently."

"We're friends. I was just used to being around him whenever you and Harry were together." She shrugged as she pulled a box out from under her bed.

"You guys hated each other when Harry and I were dating. There wasn't a single day that you two didn't argue about something." I remembered.

"Things change, I guess."

Suddenly Zayn bursts into her room and jumped on her bed, sending me flying to the floor since I was sitting on the edge.

"Son of a bitch." I groaned, rubbing my shoulder in pain.

"Sorry." Zayn said, sucking in a breath and helping me off of the floor.

"It's fine." I mumbled, sitting back down on the bed. "Where's Harry?"

"About that...we just got back from the emergency room." Zayn answered, catching both Riley and I's attention.

"Oh my god, is he okay?" I asked, stranding up frantically.

"Aren't the roads closed?" Riley asked, her question causing my eyes to roll from how different her reaction was to mine.

"Some of them are. Not all." He shrugged, resting his hand on my shoulder and sitting me back down on the bed. "And don't worry, love, he is fine. He coughed up a little blood so I took him to the ER. The doctor said he had acute bronchitis so they gave him a breathing treatment and prescription meds then they sent us home." He cleared up.

I frown. "So you left him alone? What if he needs something?" Should I go check on him?

"He said he was fine, and it might be contagious. Don't get any ideas because we still have a wedding to go to in a few weeks. We can't get sick." He tells me as if he could read my mind.