13

• • •
Madison

"What did 50 cent do when he was hungry?"

I stepped out of the elevator in front of Harry and Zayn, waiting for one of them to answer as I pet the baby kitten in my hand. They had decided to join me on my trip to Anna's place to pick up her kitten since she was staying with Brandon and I.

"I don't know, Maddie. What did he do?" Zayn asked.

"58."

Harry snorted and held back a chuckle while Zayn shook his head, smiling at my lame attempt at a joke.

"Yeah, leave the shitty jokes to Harry."

"Hey!" Harry whined. "My jokes aren't shitty."

It was my turn to hold back a laugh. "Sure they're not."

"What? You used to laugh at my jokes." Harry frowned.

"Because we were dating. I had no choice." I teased, smiling when the kitten licked my finger.

"Wow." Harry shook his head in disbelief, fighting a grin.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw a head of brown hair walking towards the door of his apartment, and I was filled with anger - and relief that he was at least alive.

"Hold him for a second." I tell Harry, handing him the kitten gently before turning back around.

"Okay?" He muttered confusedly as he stared at the small being in his hand.

"Hey!" I called, running after Louis. His head shot up in panic and he started to run in the opposite direction, but I caught up to him within seconds, tackling him to the ground and straddling his lap. Louis huffed from beneath me, trying to push me off of him but I slapped his hands and pinned them to his sides.

"Where the fuck have you been?"

He didn't answer, but he looked on the verge of hyperventilating.

"I'm sorry." He breathed shakily, and my anger faded when his eyes started to water. Feeling bad now, I climb off of him and help him up.

"You and I need to have a talk."

"I know." He whispered, avoiding my gaze and staring down at the floor.

"Look who's alive!" Zayn exclaimed as he and Harry approached us from behind me.

Louis ignored them and continued to unlock his door. "Maddie only."

Zayn and Harry frowned, sharing a weird glance before looking at me. I just shrugged and followed Louis inside of his apartment. He locked the door behind us and nearly broke down the minute we sat down in the living room.

"I know you guys are all upset and I'm sorry I've been gone but I just - I needed to be alone for a while." Louis apologized, hiding his shaking hands in his lap.

"We were all worried, Lou. Where on earth did you go?" I asked softly, suppressing my anger seeing the fragile state he seemed to be in.