39

***Song: West Coast by Lana Del Rey

• • •
Harry

"Harry Edward Styles, get your ass out of that room right now."

I rolled over onto my side, my back facing my bedroom door as I ignored Nick's call. I don't know why he was even here, but I didn't bother asking.

I can't leave this room. I can't risk running into Maddie. Whenever I see her, I want to do more than just look at her. I want to hold her, and her kiss her...and touch her in ways I can't even begin to explain how inappropriate they are. I needed every ounce of her being.

It's not that I didn't want to be around her. I just physically couldn't be around her without the intrusive dirty thoughts entering my mind.

At least that's what I tell myself.

While she was in New York, I did quite a lot of thinking to myself and I came to terms with the fact that I was making all these excuses as to why I keep ignoring her, when really it was because I was afraid.

I was afraid that she would tell me she regretted kissing me that night that we should stay friends. But then I kept thinking that I wouldn't be good enough for her anymore.

I was also afraid of hurting her again and losing her for a second time. I would not be able to live with myself.

I continued to distract myself with my phone, going through old photos, sighing when I came across a picture of Maddie on my back and kissing my cheek while we were at the beach. I felt a sharp pain in my chest as I looked at it.

• • •
August 10, 2016

"Wait! Take a picture of us before we jump." I asked my sister excitedly.

We stood on the dock that ended about thirty feet past the shore of the lake and ten feet above the water, and Zayn had dared Maddie and I to jump in.

"Okay. Smile." Gemma said as she held her phone up towards Maddie and I.

I smiled and put my arm around her shoulder, but she shrugs it off and jumps onto my back, a laugh escaping my lips as I wrap my arms around her knees to hold her up.

"Take it!" She says with so much enthusiasm, pressing her lips to my cheek as I tightened my grip on her, smiling wider than before.

"Got it!" Gemma exclaimed before putting her phone in her bag so it wouldn't get wet.

"Finally. Now jump already or I'll push you both off." Zayn said with a smirk on his face. "I'm giving you ten seconds or you owe me $50." He added, pointing at Maddie.

"Get your wallet ready." She says, hopping off of me and standing on the edge of the boardwalk, pulling her shirt over her head and revealing her red bikini top.

It should not be legal to look this beautiful, but she made it possible.

"10..." he started to count, but she had already jumped off, making sure to hold her middle finger up at him before she hit the warm water. I jump in soon after, searching for her as soon as I came up for air.