8

**Song: Somebody Else by The 1975

• • •
Madison

"Should I keep this one?" Riley asked. I look up from my phone to see her walking out of her closet holding a yellow dress.

We were cleaning out her closet to give whatever she doesn't wear or fit into to donation, and so far she has only been able to let go of four pieces of clothing and a pair of shoes.

"Does it fit you?" I asked, seeing that it looked a little small.

She held it up to her body and frowned. "No." She removed the hanger and tossed the dress into the donation pile.

"Have you seen Louis around? I tried to talk to him yesterday but he wasn't home all day." I asked her. It's been nearly a week since I promised Riley I'd talk to Louis, but I haven't see him since I got back and that's was a while ago. She was right when she said he has been distant. Not just towards her, but to all of us.

I go back to looking at my phone, sending a text in response to my dad.

[Me]
- I am doing okay. How is Faith doing?

[Dad]
- She is great. We are coming down to Toronto next week.

[Me]
- Do you want me to pick up the paint colors you guys picked out for the basement?

[Dad]
- could you, please?

[Me]
- I will go on Friday and drop them off at the house.

[Dad]
-Thank you. I have to drop Taylor off at her friends but I'll call you tomorrow. Love you

[Me]
-love you too

"Do you want to come with me to Home Depot on Friday?" I asked Riley, putting my phone down on the bed next to me.

She pops her head out of the closet and looked at me curiously. "Is your dad coming to town?"

"Yeah. He is coming to work on the basement at the house again." I said, smoothing the blanket out with my hand.

"Yeah, I'll come with you." She said before getting lost in her closet again.

"Thanks."

"What about this one?"

I look up once again, not actually paying attention to what Riley was showing me. I had to do a double take once I realized what dress she was holding.

• • •
May 29, 2017

"Babe, I want to see it." Harry called from the other side of my bathroom door.

I stood in the mirror wearing a pink and white dress Riley had given to me last week. It was a little short around the legs and very revealing around the chest. It had spaghetti straps and it hugged my waist, flowing out lightly once it reached my hips and ended a few inches below my butt. It was supposed to be a summer dress, but I would never wear this out in public. It didn't even pass the bending over test.