46

***Song: Before You Go by Lewis Capaldi

• • •
Madison

Nonna had her MRI this morning.

My dad wouldn't let me go to the hospital with him and my aunt, so Brandon, Anna, and I stayed at the house with the baby.

I got maybe five hours of sleep in total, and it was nearing twelve in the afternoon. I hadn't even seen Nonna yet and my dad said they were currently on their way home, so I was both excited and nervous.

I was sitting in the living room with the baby in laying in my lap while I let Anna and Brandon sleep in. Aurora woke up crying about an hour ago, but I offered to calm her down so they could rest a little more.

Just like in the car this morning, her hands were wrapped around both index fingers, thrashing them around and smiling up at me while I sang itsy bitsy spider to her.

"Good morning." A yawn came from the stairs.

I look behind me and see Anna coming down, tying her hair up into a ponytail.

"Good morning." I replied. "I made pancakes about ten minutes ago, if you want. They are on the plate covered with a napkin."

"Thank you, darling. And our child?" She joked, waking towards the kitchen.

"She's being very good. Hasn't cried since she woke up." I answered, tapping her nose and watching her face light up, which made my heart warm up.

"I love you more than I love Brandon." I hear her say, walking out of the kitchen with a pancake in her hand.

"I love you...too." I trailed off, eyeing her weirdly. "No syrup?"

"Nah. Too sweet." She said as she sat down next to me.

"You're weird." I shake my head with a quiet laugh, looking over at my phone on the table when it lit up.

Releasing one of my fingers from the baby's hand, I carefully reached over and grabbed it to open the message.

[Harry]
- everything will be alright. I'm here if you need me

I forgot that Riley texted in the group chat not too long ago asking if my grandma went to the doctors yet, and I told them she was there and I haven't heard anything.

[Me]
- thank you...means a lot
-isn't it six in the morning over there?

[Harry]
- yeah I have a photoshoot with my skate club client today
-how are you holding up

[Me]
- I'm doing okay I guess. Just waiting for them to get back

[Harry]
- hang in there, love. I'm sure everything will be okay

I smiled at his response, ending our conversation there until further notice.

"What's that smile for?" Anna teased from next to me, nudging my arm.

"Nothing."

"Mhm. Judging by Harry's name on the screen, I'd say you are a liar." She started, turning her body to me and biting her dry pancake. "Ready to tell me what's up with you two?"