43

***Song: In the Night by The Weeknd

• • •
May 28, 2017
Madison

I flinch as I grab my phone and look at the screen, the brightness hurting my eyes since I just came out of sleep.

I couldn't read who it was and I didn't feel like putting my glasses back on, so I just answered the call that woke me up at two in the morning.

"Hello?"

"Maaaaadie." The person slurred, and I panicked when I recognized the voice.

"Harry? What's wrong?" I sat up quickly and reached for my glasses, slipping them onto my face.

"I miss you."

I sighed lowly. "I miss you too. Are you drunk?" I asked, hearing him slur his words when he spoke.

"Jussst a lil bit." He giggled.

"Are you at home?" I asked worriedly. I would hate if he were out right now because I wasn't there to take him home. I was in New York until tomorrow night.

"Yeah, but I can't sleep without you."

I exhale in relief as I hear him moving around on his bed. "I'll be there tomorrow. I promise."

"Okay." He mumbled, followed by quiet sniffling.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly, laying back down in bed and just listening to his voice. He had to have gotten drunk for a reason. It was a little late for a college party so that couldn't be why he was wasted. I also noticed he's been drinking a lot these past few weeks.

"No."

I frowned. "Can you tell me why?"

"My dad called me today." He whispers. I know how much his dad is a sensitive topic considering he left them when Harry was only six, and it killed me to hear the pain in his voice. I wanted to be there with him and it took everything in me to not hop on a plane and go to him right now.

"I'm sorry, baby. I wish I was there with you right now." My eyes burned with tears for him as I remember my own experience with a parent that neglected me. It's a shitty feeling that resurfaces every time I see my mother's face.

"Me too...I wanna go to sleep so I can see you tomorrow, but I can't sleep without you." His slurring wasn't as bad now, but I still felt terrible for not being able to comfort him.

"Hug your pillow and imagine that it is me." I tell him, sort of regretting it from how silly it sounded.

I heard him moving around and soon he was back on the phone. "I did it."

"Is it helping?"

"Mhm. It already smells like you." He replied after yawning. "Can you sing to me?"

I absolutely suck at singing, but if it is going to help him fall asleep, I would do it with no hesitation. He would always sing to me when I couldn't sleep so it is only fair I do the same - with the same song as well.