34

***Video: please watch because if you love Dylan O'Brien, you will know

• • •
Madison

To this day, I don't think I'll ever like parties that much.

Riley saw the opportunity to finally give me the birthday celebration she wanted since I wasn't here to celebrate it, but I was grateful she didn't invite anyone outside of our friend group because I didn't want Gemma and Anna to feel uncomfortable.

I knew something was up the minute she blindfolded me and led me to her apartment. As soon as she took the blindfold off, I was met with birthday decorations from her birthday party a few days ago.

"Oh no." I groaned.

"Oh yeah." She said, wrapping her arms around my biceps and hugging me from behind while Zayn and Nick got up from the couch and walked over to us.

"Riley, my birthday was three months ago."

"Yeah, but when we went to the mall, you said after the Olympics I could throw you a party since you weren't here." She reminded me, and I cursed at myself for saying that. "Come on. Just a couple hours? It'll be close friends only."

I sighed and turned around when she dropped her arms from around me. Seeing the hopefulness in her eyes made me feel bad because I know how much she wanted to celebrate my birthday.

"Okay, fine. Thank you." I gave in, jumping back when she nearly tackled me to the ground.

"Yes!" She squealed. "I'll let everyone know they can come over now."

"Who's everyone?" I asked worriedly, hoping there weren't too many people.

"Anne, Gemma, Louis, Harry, and Adam. I told you it's just close friends."

That brings us to an hour later. I honestly was not expecting gifts since I'm assuming this party was last minute, but I was surprised when I got something from everyone. Riley bought me my favorite Tom Ford perfume - which I nearly kissed her when she gave it to me - and then gift cards for various places from everyone else. Zayn even got me a gift card for Tim Hortons since I was obsessed with the place.

We were all sitting on the couch in the living room while Nick tried to connect his laptop to the tv to show embarrassing videos of me like he does every year. I was thankful that he was struggling because I did not feel the need to be embarrassed today.

I hadn't even realized that Harry was missing until Zayn spoke up.

"Hey, where's Harry?" He asked. The slight mention of his name had my heart racing. Nobody knows about what happened between Harry and I on Riley's birthday besides Gemma. I'm surprised they haven't noticed that neither of us have been around much until today.

Today is actually the first time I've been out of my apartment for something other than practice, and luckily nobody really questioned it. Nick sensed something was up, but he didn't ask me anything either.

"I'm not sure." Anne frowned. "I actually haven't seen him since this morning."

I don't know why I wasn't all that nervous to see Harry if he were to show up. It's not like I didn't want him here either. He's still a big part of my life and it would feel wrong to not have him with the rest of us.