Ditching

Emily:
I snuggled under the covers and Alison went to go change. I pretended to be asleep when Alison came in so I didn't have to answer any more of her questions. I felt her get in the bed beside me and I squeezed my eyelids shut, waiting for sleep to come and take me over.

"Emily?" She asked quietly.

I didn't respond, instead I turned over and faced her.

"Open your eyes." She instructed.

Surprisingly, I did as I was told, "what?"

"I'm sorry." She said barely audible.

"It's fine." I muttered before drifting off into sleep.

I woke up entangled in Alison. My whole body was tingling like how it felt when your foot fell asleep, except this was a good kind of tingling. I pulled away, not saying that I wasn't happy we were like this, I just wanted to respect Alison. She reached out for me in her sleep which shocked me.

"Ali, wake up!" I nudged her gently and her eyes fluttered open.

"I like it when you call me Ali." She said in her morning voice which was extremely attractive.

"What?" My heart was beating abnormally fast because of that comment.

"Nothing." She said now that she was wide awake.

"Oh, I thought you said something." I shrugged it off as if I hadn't heard anything.

"Oh, well maybe you should get your ears checked." She snorted and I giggled.

"Maybe you should stop going to the third-grade for your comebacks." I laughed even harder and she smiled.

Ah, twice I made Alison smiled. Next on my checklist was to make her laugh.

"Whatever loser." She smirked, her dimple showing.

"Do you want to borrow some of my clothes?" I asked taking off my shirt.

"Can we ditch school? And stay here?" She looked up at me with her big blue eyes. Of course I would want to stay here all day with Alison. Especially if she wanted to.

"But my mom-" I started to say but Alison cut me off

"Just go out the door and come back through your window. Duh!" She added at the end which I thought was cute. She still thought she had to put up the tough-girl act.

"I don't really want to see Ben right now so okay I'm in." I'd never actually done anything like this so I was extremely nervous.

"Bye mom!" I called out in my usual goodbye.

"Bye mrs. Fields!" Alison waved.

We snuck into my car and parked it around the corner. Like ninjas, we crept back in through the window and tiptoed back to my bed.

"Let me paint your nails." Alison suggested randomly.

"Okay." I more than happily obliged.
------
A few minutes later I had picked out a light blue and was sitting on my bed holding a pillow. Alison had taken out the nail polish and had started painting my nails. My foot squirmed as her fingers dug in between my toes.

"Stop moving."

"I can't help it, it tickles." I defended myself.

"Get over it." She smirked. I sat quietly as she blew on my nails, "you need to break up with Ben."

"What? Why??"

"Because you deserve better. He's a flathead and deep down you know it's not right." She looked at me knowingly.

"Sometimes it feels right." I insisted.

"Ah please, mushy squash." She replied running her hand over my foot.

"He's not that bad."

"That's what's left on the buffet table after everyone's had their choice. If you don't make decisions, that's what's going to happen." She informed me moving to my other foot.

"Ben really cares about me and I don't want to hurt him." I told her.

"I'll do it for you." She smiled again.

"That's so messed up." I shook my head and she finished my nails.

"Whatever." She replied. Yep, It's back to classic Alison.
--------
Alison:
Why wouldn't she just break up with Ben already? He clearly was not the one for her.

"Why do you care so much anyways?" She plucked at the tassels of her pillow.

Because I like you.

"I don't think anybody should be in a relationship like that." I replied fanning her nails.

"He's sweet when he's not well I don't know..." She trailed off.

"You can't make excuses for him anymore." I said honestly, "I don't want to see you get hurt."

"You've already hurt me." Her words were like an arrow through my heart.

"Not physically." I stated moving to sit beside her.

"Isn't mentally worse? Physical scars can heal but mental scars stay with you forever." She said and she was right.

Goddangit emily.

"I like you too." I blurted out and then mentally slapped myself.

Getting too close to emily could not only hurt me but her as well.