Escape

Emily:
The last week of school seemed to take longer. Especially since Alison and I had decided to not ditch because my mom wouldn't believe that every day got out early.

It was the last period of the last day and the clock was ticking, signaling the last five minutes of the day. People tapping their feet against the floor matched the ticking of the clock.

Everyone's eyes were on the clock, how could five minutes feel like five hours?

Finally, the bell rang and the classroom was filled with sounds of chairs scraping against the floor and the pitter patter of feet. I waited a little while longer to get out of the class, Alison was meeting me outside my class and hers was all the way down the hall.

I leaned up against the wall and when I saw her making her way down the hall, my face broke into a smile. She mirrored my smile and kissed me sweetly.

"Hey." I smiled hard after the kiss and she took my hand.

"Ready to go?" She took my hand and I nodded.

Alison and I were going to the grocery store to grab a bunch of snacks for our sleepover tonight.
------
We pulled up to the grocery store parking lot and I waited for Alison to get out of the car.

"So what snacks are you thinking of getting?" I asked as I slid my hand around her waist.

"Like everything junky." Alison smirked and she pulled my hand away from her waist, and interlocked our fingers instead. Her hands were soft in mine and they fit together like pieces in a puzzle. It was just amazing how perfect she was for me.

We walked into the store, instantly hit by a blast of cold air.

I hated the cold blast, but I had to admit that it felt really nice against my hot skin.

We walked down the snack aisle, still hand-in-hand. Alison grabbed a few chips and some candy.

Just as we turned the corner, we ran smack-dab into our parents.

"Emily?" My mom asked.

"Alison?" Mrs. DiLaurentis mimicked.

They looked down at our intertwined hands, at each other, and then at us.

Oh no.

My heart dropped and Alison instantly dropped my hand. This is not how I wanted my mom to find out.

I looked at Alison and she gulped nervously at me. I shrugged meekly and bit the inside of my cheek.

"Girls." My mom said harshly and I winced.

"Mom, hey."

"We're going home, Emily, now." My mom was pissed. I glanced at mrs. DiLaurentis. She seemed to only be in shock and Alison was a deep red at this moment. My mom walked away, nodding her head as if to tell me to follow her. I mouthed "sorry. Text me." to Alison and followed my mom with my head down.
-----
I got in my car and followed my mom to the house, preparing myself for whatever was going to happen.

She slammed her car door shut, her mouth in a thin line. I toyed my car key in between my fingers and walked towards the house. I entered quietly, not wanting to disturb my mom any more than I already had.

She finally spoke, her voice filled with confusion, "how long?"

"Four months." I answered quietly.

"This has been going on for four months and you never told me?" She hissed and I hung my head.

"Mom, I love her." I replied weakly and she just gave me a death glare that I could feel burning into the top of my head since I was looking down.