Breathing without air

Emily:
I slammed the door shut when I arrived at home. I missed Alison already.
"Emily? What's wrong?" My mom came running out of her office.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to alarm you."

"It's okay, what's wrong?"

I think I'm in love with Alison and I just screwed it up.

"Ben and I are on a break." I managed to say, which was partly true, but I just didn't care that much.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry." My mom rushed to give me a hug and I gratefully accepted it.

"I think I'm just going to have my friends over after I finish homework." I replied glumly.

"Okay." My mom brushed my hair out of my face with both of her hands and kissed my forehead.

"Thanks mom." I smiled gratefully and trudged to my room to do my homework.
--------
"Hey. We heard about you and Ben. We're so sorry Em." Spencer said sympathetically as we were all sitting in my room.

"It's whatever guys, can we not talk about it?" I needed to get my mind off of Ben because that led to me thinking of Alison.

"Well how about you tell us what's really wrong and we'll stop talking about it." Hanna crossed her arms and gave me a knowing look.

"What are you talking about?" My heart rate sped up a little.

"This isn't just about Ben." Aria murmured.

"Yes, it is." I argued defensively.

"If it was, you wouldn't be getting so defensive." Spencer stated.

"It's about Alison..." I finally caved in and let out a breath of air.

"What about her?" Hanna tensed up.

"I like her."

"Yeah, we like her too, but-" Aria started to say.

"I like her as more than a friend!" I exclaimed frustrated.

Everyone in the room gasped and looked at each other. I looked down guiltily and played with the tassels on my pillow.

"Em- we didn't know." Aria was the first one to speak and she touched my arm.

"I know. I didn't even know." I paused then looked at every one of my friends, "it's okay if you guys don't want to be my friends anymore. I understand."

"Are you kidding me? It might take us a little to get over the fact that you like her but we'll always support you!" Spencer spoke and Aria and Hanna nodded in agreement.

"Thanks guys, I needed that."

"Now let's get you and Ali together!" Hanna clapped excitedly.

"I don't know....I mean, I have an idea but it might be a little risky.

"I'm in!" Hanna nudged Aria and spencer.

"Let's do it. Tell us your plan."
------
Alison:
I was at Noel's and we were sitting there watching tv.

My thoughts drifted towards Emily and my heart ached every time. I didn't know if I was willing to give her a second try, even if she begged for it.

Yes, I love her.

No, I can't hurt like this again.