9.

Walking back to the house together, Derek could feel her arm tensing up as they neared the door. "I can't go back in there..." She whispered, stopping as they continued up the driveway.

"Meredith..."

"No... Derek... I embarrassed myself. I ran out of there like an idiot. I can't go in there..."

"Trust me Meredith...they've already forgotten..."

"Trust you... trust you? You want me to trust you... I don't even know you, and you keep telling me to trust you!" She exclaimed as she began to pace in the driveway.

"I don't really know you, but I know you're high maintenance." He smirked as he watched her stop pacing and glare at him. He laughed out loud at the expression on her face and shook his head.

"I am not high maintenance!" She exclaimed.

"No... you're stubborn... and if you're stubborn, you're not going to think anything of what my family thinks of you... so let's go inside...before my feet fall off." He said, indicating his feet.

"You're wearing slippers!" She exclaimed, watching his toes wiggle out of the front of them.

"Yes... very wet slippers now..." He said as he held his hand out to her again. "Let's go..."

"Why would you wear slippers?" She asked as she grabbed his hand and walked with him up the driveway.

"I didn't have time to get my boots on, you're too fast..." He said with a chuckle as they got to the walk. They looked at the snow and before Meredith could say another word, he lifted her up with a squeal and carried her through the snow, up the steps and deposited her on the porch.

"What is with you and carrying women around... do you have a caveman complex or something?"

"Hush before I hit you with my club..." He winked as he opened the door for her and they both stepped inside.

Stepping inside from the cold, they found the same happiness and cheer that had been there when they had left. The children were starting to open their gifts, and all of the parents were sitting around in the family room laughing and talking. Derek kicked his slippers off and helped Meredith with her coat as he nodded his head towards the family room.

As she entered the room, with Derek right behind her, Timothy looked up and grinned. "Meredith! Look what Santa brought me!" He exclaimed, holding up a fire truck in both hands as she smiled.

"That's great, Timothy..." She smiled softly as she watched Derek watch her.

Bethany came around from the side of her and handed her a cup of coffee. "Here you go..." She smiled as she nodded towards the couch, where there were two seats left. "You guys can get that spot..." She smirked at her brother, who shook his head as he placed his hand on Meredith's back lightly, leading her towards the couch. He carefully took her coffee for her so that she could get situated on the couch, and handed it to her as he sat beside her, and they continued to watch the joy and happiness of the children opening their Christmas gifts.

🎄🎄🎄

The gifts were opened and the children played, giggled, laughed and napped as Mrs. Shepherd and her four daughters made their way to the kitchen to put the finishing touches on dinner. Derek sat with his brothers in law and talked happily about this and that while Meredith sat awkwardly beside him, beginning to feel wholly out of place. She was fidgeting with her fingers, listening to one of the children's tales of Christmas while she bit her bottom lip.

"Meredith?" Nancy called from the kitchen door. "Why don't you come on into the kitchen...we're all in here, you can help too if you want." She smiled happily, seeing the girl look nervously at her.